Fitting new expansion vessel and PRV to Maxi Combi 24 HE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been having problems with my Maxi Combi boiler. I called a plumber and he said that the expansion vessel needed replacing and that although the vessl itself only costs around £70+VAT, it would take a day to fit and hence another £500+VAT. He suggested I might be better off with a new boiler.

As a complete plumbing novice, can anyone out there let me know if this sounds reasonable. He said that because the expansion vessel is at the back, he would have to remove the boiler to do the repair, which is the same amount of effort as fitting a new boiler. I have no reason to doubt that, but it is always useful to get other opinions.

I wondered if it might be worth signing-up to Heateam's fixed price repair service as that might be cheaper, but they have very mixed review. Does anyone out there have experience of their service.

Many thanks for any thoughts on this.

Steve.

Sponsored Links
Boiler has to come off if not enough ceiling clearance to remove vessel. You can fit an additional off the shelf one elsewhere on the system, if you have the space.

I've been having problems with my Maxi Combi boiler. I called a plumber and he said that the expansion vessel needed replacing and that although the vessl itself only costs around £70+VAT, it would take a day to fit and hence another £500+VAT. He suggested I might be better off with a new boiler.

As a complete plumbing novice, can anyone out there let me know if this sounds reasonable. He said that because the expansion vessel is at the back, he would have to remove the boiler to do the repair, which is the same amount of effort as fitting a new boiler. I have no reason to doubt that, but it is always useful to get other opinions.

I wondered if it might be worth signing-up to Heateam's fixed price repair service as that might be cheaper, but they have very mixed review. Does anyone out there have experience of their service.

Many thanks for any thoughts on this.

Steve.

What did he say was wrong with the vessel?

View media item 72226
Maxi?? :confused: :confused:

As mentioned already, a remote expansion vessel will save some money, fitted on return pipe to boiler. Space permitting. I'll do a remote one for £400 all in, even travelling from Bristol. :D

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies so far.

He said that the seal was knackered although he didn't do anything to prove that. I thought he might try to pump it up, but he didn't.

For the exterior tank, how much space would it take up? The boiler itself is situated in a cupboard.

Okay, I think I'll try seeing if water escapes from the valve.

Going back to my original question, how much hassle is it to replace the original expansion vessel, i.e. how many hours of effort is that likely to be assuming that the boiler needs removing? I'm wondering about this because I'm not sure there is enough space to fit an external expansion vessel.

Thanks everyone - this is a great forum!

Okay, I think I'll try seeing if water escapes from the valve.

Going back to my original question, how much hassle is it to replace the original expansion vessel, i.e. how many hours of effort is that likely to be assuming that the boiler needs removing? I'm wondering about this because I'm not sure there is enough space to fit an external expansion vessel.

Thanks everyone - this is a great forum!

A pic would be good. If there is no water evident from valve or the vessel, then it may just need a repair, could be the hose/pipe blocked to it also. Bit more info needed.

I don't have any pics at the moment but will have a look to see if there is much to see.

I have had to re-fill the water quite frequently. When the boiler is on, the pressure builds-up quickly and reaches >3bar causing the PRV to trigger releasing water from the drain pipe. Once it cools down, the pressure is close to zero.

Like I said if it's not leaking, it requires attention rather than removing blr. He may have pulled a fast one here. Get another opinion. I'd have certainly checked for flat EV before saying you need a new one put it that way.

Thanks guys. I will go and check the air pressure in the expansion vessel. I think I can use a standard car pressure gauge for that.

If it is flat (and not leaking water), I guess I can pump it up. Will I need to reduce the water pressure first? If so, can I do this from the bleed valve on a radiator?

Thanks again.

I'd get a second opinion sj. If EV is flat it can be work than just opening a bleed. ;)

Look at the FAQ about how to repressurise your EXV.

Sounds like a chancer!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back