fitting new light switch

G

greeny4

im fitting a new light switch in the hallway. Its 2 gang each gang on the back has L at the top and an l1 and l2 at the bottom. I have 3 cables-
1- blue
yellow(live)
red (live)

2- black
red

3- red (live)

one gang is for downstairs hall wall lights and and the other will be for the upstairs landing light. Can you tell me how to wire the switch and which wire goes where, thankyou.

Sponsored Links
if you're fitting a new switch, then only you know what you connected the oter ends of those cables to..
if you are REPLACING a switch with a new one, then only you know what wire went where on the old one and it should have been a fairly simple job of making a note of it and replicating it on the new switch..

whoever did them before did it incorrect before i moved in as you have to have the hallway light on for the kitchen light to come on, i was hoping someone would be able to tell me how to do it correctly else it will be the same as before cheers Rick.

Sponsored Links
ive done the yellow, blue and red the same as in the diagram uve posted but in the the linking socket upstairs the yellow is in li, red l2 and blue goes into a blck with another red. I take it these need to be the same in both switches so do i change it at the switch im changing or the one upstairs???????

do you have a camera?

If so, take a pic of the bits you are attempting to rectify and post them here. It will probably save you a lot of time as people will be able to see all the details in one go as opposite to a long winded Q&A

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back