Fitting new radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm have trouble fitting a new radiator. The fitting a won't come off the old one and I've spent a fortune on parts which are wrong. I have the pipes coming through the floor, all I need are the correct fittings for both sides at the bottom of the radiator. The lower left is 15mm and the lower right has a trv which is 10mm. Does anyone know the fittings I need to use? The fittings need to be 15mm coming out of the radiator and 10mm at the other end at trv.

I've added photos to my album to show you both sides and the parts that were on the old radiator

Sponsored Links
On the right hand side rad fitting, you can see flats on the chrome pipe between the nut and the rad. Put a spanner on there to turn the fitting anti-clockwise out of the rad.

Not sure if there are flats on the left one, but you can see where a rad wrench fits the hex/octagonal flats if you look inside the open end of fitting.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/radiator-spanner/11467

When you get the old fittings out, you will need to clean old PTFE tape off of end of the fittings and put about 10 turns of new tape on them. Wind the PTFE clockwise, viewing the fitting from the threaded end that screws into rad.

I'm keeping the pipes that come from the floor. The valves are on them it's just the fitting from the new radiator I need to buy. One side has 15mm pipe and the trv side is 10mm dunno why ? So I need fittings for both sides I've added photos of the old fittings

Sponsored Links
You don't need new fittings. They'll be tight, but will definitely unscrew and are reusable.

I'm keeping the pipes that come from the floor. The valves are on them it's just the fitting from the new radiator I need to buy. One side has 15mm pipe and the trv side is 10mm dunno why ? So I need fittings for both sides I've added photos of the old fittings

You should be able to remove both the valve tails from the radiator. But I cannot see where you have differing valve tail diameters.
Like linked you may require the rad spanner/key to remove them. Personally would put new valve tails and valves on.

Thanks everyone ! Managed to borrow a radiator key and brute force got it off. Also got the other one off! For future reference can you tell me what they are called incase I need them? Dunno what the 15mm to 10mm one is all about but all my family have them ?!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back