fitting new room thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to fit a new modern looking room thermostat,
maybe a digital one to replace my present one which is a Honeywell,
it has 3 wires going in at the back but most of the new thermostats
i've seen only have 2wires connecting them.
Will this be a problem fitting a new thermostat ?

Any advice most welcome,Thanks,madsey.

Sponsored Links
read the details on the Honeywell FAQ, as suggested.

My experience (with an S Plan) was as below. I suggest you read the Honeywell wiring centre plans as well as the stat wiring .pdf

My old dial room stat had 3 wires as you describe: mine were coloured red (live), yellow (switch) and blue (neutral).

To wire a Honeywell CM67 (excellent programmable stat), I taped the blue (neutral), wired red (live) to slot 1 and yellow (switch live) to 2.
I imagine the same applies to other stats.

Of course, I'm not a pro, so you'll need to understand your own wiring, don't rely on colours here.

Sponsored Links
joncox said:
To wire a Honeywell CM67 (excellent programmable stat), I taped the blue (neutral), wired red (live) to slot 1 and yellow (switch live) to 2.

Yep, did much the same except i removed the redundant cable all together. As you say an excellent stat. Wouldn't spend all that money just for looks though, especially if the old one works ok. :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back