Fitting new soil pipe - Drill Size???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm sure this has been asked a thousand times...

I need to drill my external brick wall to install a new toilet. The soil pipe being used is 110mm.

My question is.. what size/type of drill bit will I need to use for the soil pipe?

Some have advised 110mm (but I fear the pipe will be too tight) others have said 127mm.

Please help!!!

Sponsored Links
127mm will give you a little bit of play, and can be pointed up both sides easily enough. 110mm is too tight.

127mm core drill (make sure the hammer is turned off on the drill). This will allow you to get a fall on the pipe, and also if you aren't used to core drilling, your hole will probably wander slighty.

It isn't difficult, just get in a comfortable position before you start and take your time. A final tip is get someone with a builders vaccuum to suck the dust at the side of the core - it speeds things up considerably. Dont use the wifes' Dyson :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Stitch drilling with an sds is as good as any and chisel out after especially if your up a ladder.

Yeah but on big sites we let the buiders swing on em. ;)

Did anyone mention using the correct sort of Electric Drill for core-cutting?

No. I thought not.

It MUST have clutch built in. Or, you will end up in hospital having been thrown off the ladder and snapping your wrist while you're at it.

Not saying core-cutting is dangerous or nuffink, just not a job of the faint of heart when things do not go smoothly.

DH

Did anyone mention using the correct sort of Electric Drill for core-cutting?

No. I thought not.

It MUST have clutch built in. Or, you will end up in hospital having been thrown off the ladder and snapping your wrist while you're at it.

Not saying core-cutting is dangerous or nuffink, just not a job of the faint of heart when things do not go smoothly.

DH

got given a drill with no clutch by my old firm to drill wood, ended up with three stitches in my lip

Core drills are for boiler flues/extractor fans , go break out the club & chistle. :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back