Fitting new wooden window board

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently aiming to fit a new window board to my bedroom window in order to replace the horrid tile window sill I have at the moment. I was wondering about a few things:

1.) What's the best type of wood to use for the job? I want a board that is bullnosed and finished to a high quality & that will be durable.
2.) What's the best way to ensure that the board remains damp proof?
3.) How would I fix the board in place?
4.) How can I ensure that the board is draft proof (just in case)?
5.) Should I need to treat the board, what product should I use?

Sponsored Links
well you can buy window board from any good timber merchants,the mdf 1 comes ready primed,or buy the real wood 1 and paint it yourself,or obtain some decent hard wood from somewhere and make it up yourself,you could once painted just gripfil it to the tiles that are already thereor screw and plug it,thats if theres enogh room for it.

You need the laminated chipboard kind, called duraboard or kayboard, never needs treating, just fix it on with no nails. Once the old tiles are off, seal the bottom of the window first before fitting the board.

Sponsored Links
From bare masonry this is how we fix window-boards:

Glue plasterboard to the horizontal masonry using board adhesive and tap level. Use two layers if make-up thickness requires.

Once set, use gripfill (or better still) sticks like s**t to glue the window board to the plasterboard.

The idea is the plasterboard and drywall adhesive forms a very strong bond to the masonry and is both true and level and is draught proof so long as you don't skimp on the adhesive. This then provides an ideal surface to stick the window-board to.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back