Fitting Oak Mantel - Fixing Method?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning folks!

As part of the renovations in my front room we will be fitting a solid oak mantel/beam above the fireplace (mantel dimensions approx 1600 x 200 x 150mm).

I want the fixing to be hidden - we will be losing the back edge by recessing slightly into the plaster on the wall.
In terms of mounting I'd played around with a few ideas such as creating tenons that could be fitted to the wall to fit into mortices in the back of the beam locked in place by a peg driven up from the underside of the mantel...but I think I've now probably opted to go with a french cleat fitted to the wall and a corresponding recess routed into the back of the beam, I'd lock the cleat with a few screws driven again from the underside.

However it has occurred to me that this may not be the best/fastest/easiest way of doing this so I thought I'd ask what you would do?

Sponsored Links
I would use a plug cutter to cut out 6 or so plugs from the rear and then use concrete screws to attach it. Then cover the screw heads with the plugs, if you Lin up the grain you barely notice them.

Sponsored Links
Has the beam completely dried, if not, it'll continue to shrink along it's length, and rip out anything you fix it with.
Yes - it's been dried between 3-5 years by a reputable supplier - I can do without beams falling off the wall!

Most methods suggested here will do the job, and in many ways, drilling from the front might well be the best, but I suspect you want the fixings to be hidden. If you use straps, you'll have to replaster a fair bit of wall, but if you go for normal oak beam fixings, then there'll be a minimal amount of repair work to do. One of the problems with hidden fixings, is being able to drill a straight hole in to the back of the beam, in the correct position, so at the end of the day, the method you use may well be determined by your skills.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back