Fitting OSB3 for EPDM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please excuse my ignorance never done this before...

Planning on using General Purpose OSB3 Board - 18mm X 1220mm X 2440mm on my garage roof I will be fitting EPDM on top. Have read up on this all I can but, need some guidance on the following:

What can I use to get the EPDM and OSB3 onto the garage roof? Its a big roof 9 by 6 meters so the EPDM will be pretty heavy. (EDIT sorry I have now been told its 54kg by the sales rep.)

Also not sure what screws would be best I have heard that Parallel core screws should be used because they have greater holding power than conventional tapered wood screws. Have searched and cannot find these anywhere. I do know that I want something strong that will last, the EPDM can last for many years so I don't want the screws to be the weak link. Can you point me in the right direction, or perhaps I'm overcomplicating this, what would you use?

How many screws do I need to use and at what intervals? Read somewhere that fixing should be at 150mm around the perimeter and 300mm at intermediate studs or joists for flat roof decking, does that sound about right?

The noggins are approx 124cm apart so was planning to buy some additional timber 5cm X 5cm to add in to ensure all edges are supported. Would this seem to be of sufficient size?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Hi Catlad, thanks for your suggestion...

18mm T&G boards 1200mm x 600mm are the roofing boards for that job.

Don't the edges have to be supported? The roof noggins are approx 124cm apart, I saw a guy PVA the edges of these on TV once, does glueing get around this?

Did my house roof a few years ago , 7x5m and managed to carry it up ladder by myself.
Two people should manage garage.

Sponsored Links
It's possible for one person to get 8' x 4' OSB sheets onto a roof. Lean the sheet against the wall. or against one of the joists inside the building. Lift the bottom onto something so you can get your hands underneath. Place hands underneath, lift the board as high as you can till it wants to topple, then shove. Then get up there and move into position. Worked for me :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back