Fitting Pad Handle UVPC Front Door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a standard Euro cylinder and lever handle on my front door which I would like to change to a more secure pad handle system. What does this entail as I am not sure how turning the key from the outside to enter affects the mechanism for the lever handle? Does it require a completely new mechanism as well as handle furniture?

Hope someone can help me!!

Sponsored Links
some mechs have a "double handle Follower" built into them and to make these type to opperate as a yale from the outside you just need the appropriate handles,one will operate one of the handle followers
(the bit the square spigot goes through in the lock) and the other hande operates the other,not easy to explain but any decent locksmith will demonstrate this for you as we do at our locksmiths.
if your mech doesnt have htis feature you will need to replace the whole system if there is one that will fit,about£65-£150 depending on the make/model,
remove your handles and look to see if you can see another square handle follower above or below your existing one to confirm what you have

forgot to mention,with the nightlatch function that you desire you can shut the door and it will hold shut on the latch,you will still have to throw the handle up on the inside and turn the key to fully deadlock the system when you want the door fully secure.
the difference when opening the door from the outside from fully locked is,
insert key and unlock,pull handle down to undeadlock then turn the key again about 1/4 turn to pull thelatch back to open the door.

Its also very easy to lock yourself out with this configuration - as with yale locks, if the keys on the inside when you pop out to the bin/garage/shed etc, and the door closes behind you - lockout !!!

Sponsored Links
What I don't understand is how the ouside key operates the lever mechanism when it appears to be totally isolated from it.

you dont need to know how and why,just that with the correct upvc door mech it does work.the handle/paddle still operates all the boltwork up and down the door and the key on the outside really only locks it all and operates the latch only on specific models.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back