Fitting RF roomstat & updating controller for combi boil

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just moved and have a Worcester Greenstar HE plus combi boiler (11-35 HE plus) fitted in the garage. All the radiators have thermostatic valves apart from the hallway. The system has no room stat and I would like to fit one in the hall - ideally an RF one. Also the basic programmer ( a Siemens RWB7) does not give the level of control I want. The controller is fitted in the kitchen (obviously for ease of fitting as the garage is the other side of the same wall). So I would like to replace the programmer with a better one (separate weekend to weekday control) and also fit an RF roomstat. Worcester make a (non-RF) stat for this boiler which also allows other functionality (4 various 'comfort' settings). So I would welcome any suggestions as to what my options are - especially around compatability with the boiler and how much of the 'text display' functionality can I get from a programmer? Also would it make sense to combine the stat / programmer and fit in the hall?

Sponsored Links
Why not go for a high spec wireless programmable roomstat . (I don't know model nos).

Why not go for a high spec wireless programmable roomstat . (I don't know model nos).

Thanks - that is certainly an option as long as I can find one that's compatible. The TR2 room stat provides a lot more control than a conventional room stat so I'm also considering fitting that and then upgrading the programmer....

TR2 with HE+ works a treat.
No need to spend money on a timer; the boiler has a good one built in.
Don't stick the stat in the hall though, it works much better in the lounge, just take the head of the trv.
The text display has pro's and cons as it is extremely elaborate.
The good side: if you really know how they work, you can even let them make tea before you get up, and play the national anthem before you go to bed.
The downside, do it wrong, and you can completely mess up the working of the boiler. It has so many options that few, if any WB engineers can do it without the manual. Not the one you have, the engineers manual; over 250 pages.

Sponsored Links
TR2 with HE+ works a treat.
No need to spend money on a timer; the boiler has a good one built in.
Don't stick the stat in the hall though, it works much better in the lounge, just take the head of the trv.
The text display has pro's and cons as it is extremely elaborate.
The good side: if you really know how they work, you can even let them make tea before you get up, and play the national anthem before you go to bed.
The downside, do it wrong, and you can completely mess up the working of the boiler. It has so many options that few, if any WB engineers can do it without the manual. Not the one you have, the engineers manual; over 250 pages.
Thanks for this. I'll take your advice and order the TR2. Not sure about the lounge I may try it in both (as its the same wall) and see where its most effective.
One question you may be able to answer (that the manual is vague about) is the three different programmer settings: Heating, Economy, Frost. I assume heating is straightforward setting that works to TR2 stat, Frost is 'off' but with an internal boiler stat that detects when o/s temp drops close to freezing, but not sure about Economy - is it just a lower temp that you preset and will keep the room at this lower temp. If so does it use the room stat to detect this temperature? Any help appreciated..

but not sure about Economy - is it just a lower temp that you preset and will keep the room at this lower temp. If so does it use the room stat to detect this temperature? Any help appreciated..

Yes and yes.

As for the working of the stat in hall or lounge, the working will be equally good.
The difference is this: if you put the stat in the hall, the hall will be the exact temperature that you decide is nice. Don't know about you, but I spend far more time in the lounge, and am not bothered if the hall is a few degrees colder.

The longer version of the how and what of roomstats, trv's and boilerstat settings (at least the way I see it) is in FAQ.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back