Fitting RSJ into inside of house

3 Nov 2005
Reaction score
United Kingdom
We have an extension to the rear of the house and are looking at opening up the kitchen to the extended dining room for a more open plan look.
A stud wall separating the kitchen and utility will need to come down and also what was once the outside external wall which no separates kitchen/utility to dining room. I'm assuming this is load bearing so an RSJ will need to go in. How much of a problem would this be needing to be fitted internally. We have 2 sets of French doors for access.

Also would this have any interference with the room above. It's our bedroom and plan on refurbing that first but if any access to floor boards needed etc I will sort the kitchen out first..

Also what would be the process in doing this. Would a builder arrange structural engineer and building control or would an engineer be needed before I call in the builder. Thanks for any advice?
Sponsored Links
Start with a SE to do the load calcs and the steel specifications.

Find a builder once you have the specifications so that they know what they are quoting for. Good local builder will know how do deal with building control - although it's ultimately it's your responsibility to ensure that building control are notified and the job is signed off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links