Fitting s/s sink to extra deep worktop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been left with a partially installed s/steel sink because the worktop is too thick for any normal clips, because the floor unit underneath has a reinforcing strip across front and back which adds to the thickness. That makes it around 50mm as opposed to the normal 40mm max of standard clips. Is there any way round this problem? Say if I cut rebates with a wide drill, or substitute extra-long screws in the clips? At the moment the sink has been left clipped to each end only, and is visibly bowing upwards along its length. Needless to say the builder has disappeared from the scene. Can someone please help?

Sponsored Links
Where I have come across similar problems I have cut out rebates as you say a Forstner bit, powerfile, or my latest supertool the Bosch multitool which will let you plunge cut a bit out easily.

P.S. those clips are rubbish why can't someone come up with a better one!!!

Presumably these are the claw type clips?
Either of your methods will work fine, but you may have a bit of a problem replacing the self tapping type screws with some of the same diameter......just what I have found in the past.
John :)

The strip should be trimmed [or even removed/replaced] so it does not interfere with the sink clips.

Sponsored Links
P.S. those clips are rubbish why can't someone come up with a better one!!!
Yes they are aren't they. I usually end up binning half of them due to lack of access. There has to be a better way.

If the sink is sits nice and flat, you could just sit in on a line of clear silicon around the edge. Place a board over it and weigh down with some heavy weights. Once set it will not move.

I've found that ordinary silicone doesn't always stick too well to stainless. I once used this method to stick down a stainless boat sink in the house. Despite cleaning it with meths beforehand, the seal broke after about a year and a half, leaving the silcone stuck to the worktop. I re-did it with added screws and it's been fine since. That said, something like ct1 might do the job from what I've heard.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back