Fitting shelf in shower cubicle ???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
I had a shower installed last year and hummed and harred at fitting a shelf inside the cubicle.
Now after numerous near misses with dropping shavers and bottles etc i think it's time i put a shelf up.
Some history on the cubicle is that is framed with stud walls, plasterboard and then wall tiles.
I need to know what the correct way to drill into the wall, with what type of drill and what fixings i need to drive home in order to keep the shelf up and not to crack the tiles ???????
Nervous in preperation.....
Skybluescooby

Sponsored Links
Just use a decent masonry bit. If hard tiles then use a diamond bit.
Once you have your hole, just use a regular wall plug. Push the plug into the hole, put a screw into the plug and tap it in so that it pushes the plug a little further into the hole so that it is below the glazed surface of the tile but still in the tile so-to-speak. Then just screw into it. If you use the right drill bit for the plug and the correct screw, you'll have no problems.

If you are fitting into a stud wall it's sods law that where you drill wont be into the wood stud!!
Make sure you have a sharp masonry drill, stick masking tape on the wall to stop the drill skidding around on the tile face, mark on the tape where you want to drill.
The best fixings for stud walls are the toggles, you can get these at any hardware shop...B&Q etc.

Sponsored Links
All sorted now and it's still up and looking smart.

Just added a little bit of clear silicon around the wall mounts to ensure no water gets behind ....

Yataaaaa It's a success.

Thanks again y'all

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back