Fitting shower next to a window - good idea?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a small bathroom. The only place I can fit the bath is on a wall where theres a big window and the sill is about 600mm from the floor. The window is very wide - about the length of the bath. I want a shower over the bath.

Obviously Ill tile the window sill and around it. My concern is that everytime someone has a shower there will be standing water on the window sill and the grout will go orange and manky. Do you think its not a good idea to have a shower so close to a window sill, or is there some way to somehow mitigate against water being sprayed over the window sill?

Or maybe I just buy one of those shower heads that attached to the taps and you sit in the bath to shower?

Ill try and take a photo later so you can see what Im working with.

Sponsored Links
So the whole length of the bath is a window . Is it overlooked ?;)

Yes, the window is the length of the bath. The window's aperture also has splayed sides. It looks out over a field, but there is a road about 50 yards away, so its not completely discreet!

I suppose the easiest solution is to just have a blind that covers the entire window aperture, something like: https://www.blinds-2go.co.uk/roller...MI2cy_j5ml2gIVTJPtCh0OpQWrEAAYAyAAEgJnKvD_BwE

Maybe Ive answered my own question.

I use a polyester shower curtain ( John Lewis ) to keep shower water away from the wattle and daub wall of my bath room. It would also work over a window,

shower_a2.jpg

Sponsored Links
most shower screens for bath use only run the length of half a bath?
Mine is like this
https://www.wayfair.co.uk/Aqualux--AQUA-4-140-x-84cm-Folding-Bath-Screen-1160125-L6128-K~FJL1134.html?refid=GX190833676238-FJL1134_7574629&device=c&ptid=300317623150&targetid=pla-300317623150&network=g&PiID[]=7574629&device=c&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6sr2z6ql2gIVhOcbCh1Klw54EAQYASABEgKWpPD_BwE

would there be room to fit a screen without cutting on the wall she of the bath?
https://www.wayfair.co.uk/diy-plumbing/pdp/aqualux-aqua-4-1275-x-82cm-pivot-bath-screen-fjl1135.html

Or find a plastic based screen that you could cut down to fit the window?

You can get glass splash backs that are normally coloured, but can be clear, and are tempered so they are safe. you could fit something like secondary glazing over part or all of the window

http://www.opticolour.co.uk/glass-manufacturers-gallery/glass-shower-walls-bathrooms/

Last edited:
In my first home the walls were wallpapered and I couldn't afford to tile the bathroom. So I fitted a shower curtain track similar to the one in this link. and had two separate curtains one for each side. I didn't draw them across the end which was over the bath so that I didn't feel enclosed.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Thanks guys. I think the solution is in one of the links youve provided (either another screen, or blinds covering the whole window). If everyone was piling in saying "definitely dont do it...." then it would give me pause for thought. Ill take a photo later anyway so you can see the situation.

When you tile the windowsill, put an angle on the tiles (doesn't need to be much, only a degree or so) so the water runs back into the bath. Or use a strip of that cheap plastic cladding as the windowsill (set at slight angle)- no grout to worry about :)

When you tile the windowsill, put an angle on the tiles (doesn't need to be much, only a degree or so) so the water runs back into the bath. Or use a strip of that cheap plastic cladding as the windowsill (set at slight angle)- no grout to worry about :)

Ah! Something like: http://www.mbdiy.co.uk/interior-fin...MIz4frjc-l2gIV7rztCh3HPAFeEAQYBCABEgJOKfD_BwE ? I think that would look nicer than a tiled window sill. Or maybe it would look odd if everything else is tiled apart from the sill!? Ill have a think - I havnt even decided on what tiles Im having!

FWIW we have a kind of semi-wet room. This was installed about 5-6 years ago. This has a shower tray the full width of the bathroom with the window inside the shower area, i.e. behind the shower screen. The shower screen is about half the width of the bathroom.

The bathroom walls and floor were fully tiled including around the window (sill and reveals). Despite there being a slight slope it seems surface tension prevents rapid draining from the window sill.

The solution - religiously use a shower squeegee *every time* to help any standing water into the shower tray. This also is used on the shower screen and the walls. We have had no problems with manky orange grout and no condensation problems. I think that whipping around with the squeegee also helps prevent scale build-up.

I too had concerns about the window inside, but for me turned out to be a non-issue.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back