fitting shower tray onto Caberdek

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Happy Easter all,

Hoping to fit a stone resin shower tray into the new ensuite and am a bit stumped as to the best way to adhere it to the floor.

Current construction is 22mm Caberdek (grey) laminated chipboard flooring on 400mm centre joists.

Have seen a variety of different suggestions on fitment but non addressing the fact that the floor is effectively laminated. Ceiling height has been set up so that there is less that 10mm clearance when the shower tray and multipanels are fitted so can't raise the floor really.

Is general silicone/ polymer adhesive or even grab adhesive a possibility or have I absolutely got to use a flexible tile adhesive?
Would tile adhesive even adhere to the Caberdek?
Bottom of the shower tray is perfectly flat and the flooring is pretty flat aswell.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
If you are worried about the sheen on the Caberdek then briefly run a sander over the area in question.
With care, Multipanel can be cut to suit.
Expensive construction adhesives will stick to glass.

Rehearse, dry fit, how you intend to drop the tray into position.
I assume you will have access to the trap and waste?

Ask the mods to transfer this thread to the Tile forum.

Thanks for the reply,

Yeah that was my main concern and with all the conflicting advice I'm hesitant to fit it yet.

Good idea, and good point about the glass. So a thin layer of hybrid polymer sealant all over would do the trick?

I'd really rather not have to cut the panels, there are three of them in the area and if I can get away with leaving the edge as it is that would be preferable.

I've got the tray leaning against the back wall so hoping that I can put a window lifter onto the top when it get somewhere near to take some of the weight, the floor is very good so hoping that I can pretty much sit the tray straight on the floor with minimal fuss.

Yeah, the waste is cut out and access is from the garage underneath, means I can fit the ease whenever which is a big bonus.

Thanks

Fit the waste and trap before even dry fitting. ie always pre-fit your fixtures.

Sponsored Links
Ok thanks will do, makes it a little bit more tricky as I've cut the chipboard quite tight.

Would be interested to hear some more thoughts/ opinions with regards to the best method of fitting the tray onto the Caberdek.

Currently my thoughts are hybrid polymer sealant.

Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back