Fitting sisal stair runner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there.

I've just purchased a sisal stair runner and am struggling to figure out the best way to fit it.

The instructions I can find say to start at the bottom by pinning the runner under the first gripper and working up and then doing the same at the top at the back of the landing.

Now this carpet is quite thick and I don't think that would work very well as I have a small landing (terraced house with the stairs going across) and there would be a lump, also it has a nice trim and I would prefer to have that showing at the top. So would it work if I started at the top with no under folding and working down and possibly doing the underpinning at the bottom?

I will also be using stair rods.

Thanks

Andy

Sponsored Links
Hi there..

OK I only sell the stuff, one of the fitters will give you better advice soon....

I was under the impression that this stuff should be fully stuck down, I do not think it can "safely" be fitted using grippers.

You should also be aware that it will "fray" on any cut edge

It is not a cheap purchase, my advice would be to get a Pro fitter in, after all you don't want any accidents!!!!

By the way MOST carpet fitters cannot fit this stuff properly so be wary who you employ

We are lucky on this site, most of our fitters advising here are at the top of their game

Hi there..

OK I only sell the stuff, one of the fitters will give you better advice soon....

I was under the impression that this stuff should be fully stuck down, I do not think it can "safely" be fitted using grippers.

You should also be aware that it will "fray" on any cut edge

It is not a cheap purchase, my advice would be to get a Pro fitter in, after all you don't want any accidents!!!!

By the way MOST carpet fitters cannot fit this stuff properly so be wary who you employ

We are lucky on this site, most of our fitters advising here are at the top of their game

I agree lymmranger

This is a pro job and needs to be fitted on System10 etc.

Hmmmm, non of the websites suggest sticking it down (they did if used as a floor covering) and I would to be able to easily lift it, if it doesn't wear well.

Sponsored Links
Is it definitely sisal?

Does the product have a hessian style backing or is it a rubberised/latex feel? Or us it pure grass?

it should be proper sisal, that's what I ordered...

It has a rubberised backing.

In that case, it should indeed be sisal and would normally be fitted with the system10 underlay/stick system.

There's nothing to stop you fitting with nails/pins/staples, it's easier to get tension on each step when you fit from the bottom upwards.

You do need to pin the carpet ideally under each nosing so you have a crease, you would'nt normally fit it waterfall over the nose like a traditional carpet.

If you get a pro in to go the system10 route, you will still likely have the creases under each nosing, and they will probably still use pins etc to help, with System10 you will get a better feel and it will last longer too.

Have you purchased the stair rods yet? If so, what eyes did you order? Stair runner or flush fit? Are the rods solid or hollow?

Thanks Crazydave

I've got the rods. They are hollow so I guess purely decorative rather than functional. Not sure about they eyes, they just came with the runner. When fitted they would be 12mm from the tread.

Probably should've done this research in advance....:)

Andy

....with respect Andy you have given me the impression so far that this task is beyond you!

I have been in this game for a long time and I would not even attempt it

I also wouldn't allow most of my fitters near a customers house if the job was sisal on stairs! luckily I do have fitters experienced in this area. With the sisal and the rods that is going to be a very expensive staircase

Those bloody TV designers started all this - when I first started sisal was NOT recommended for stairs at all.
Personally I think it is far too slippery, but still its your choice

....Oh and don't get it wet (tea beer water) cos it will go mouldy!

Don't forget it is just a plant that has been dried and woven!

Please get a pro in and make sure they are experienced in sisal and definitely stick it down

I appreciate your comments Lymmranger, but this is a DIY forum is it not?

So yes I will be giving it a go. If it all turns out kak I'll get someone in and I'll even bring a large slice of humble pie.

I appreciate your comments Lymmranger, but this is a DIY forum is it not?

So yes I will be giving it a go. If it all turns out kak I'll get someone in and I'll even bring a large slice of humble pie.

I appreciate its a diy forum and advice is sought and digested etc
But as an experienced fitter of over 20 years, i would def not recommend sisal as a diy install whatsoever.
Can i ask whats making you attempt this yourself?
Have you had a price for fitting it and you think its too expensive?
As mentioned earlier, most carpet fitters cant do this gear properly, its needs a lot of respect/experience & knowledge to make it work.
I will add, as a pro i would be quite concerned with health and safety as an amatuer installation.
Slippy stuff at its best, if its not stuck down on stairs with the system 10 crumb underlay then theres a good chance it will come baggy and be a def hazard..

Im certainly not trying to tell you to suck eggs, but i would in all honesty get a pro in who knows what their doing and make life easier for you...

Price is not really an issue. Just seemed straight forward based on the info from the website I ordered it from.

Price is not really an issue. Just seemed straight forward based on the info from the website I ordered it from.

Ok, i can appreciate where your coming from, based on your assumptions from the website..
Could you post the link of the site up for us to see?
If they are advocationg sisal as a diy install then thats really very naughty and misleading as you are seeing here from us pros, that is most def isnt lol

Www.stairrunnersdirect.com

:eek:
Well....
You could do it like that........

I wouldnt...

That 'advice' needs taking down asap.
they need an email fired their way quickly, telling them they have no idea what they talking about....
Altogether too much wrong info there

Only reason i can assume why they have it there is so they can sell more of the stuff.
They'd have a harder job shifting it if they put 'you must find a fitter yourself who knows how to handle this specific stuff'

However, you do seem keen and not put off from having a go.
let us know how you get on with it. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back