Stair runner advice before fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have just had a bloke round to measure up and quote us for a landing carpet and stair runner. We have chosen quite a "firm" carpet . It is similar to the texture and feel of a natural flooring like sisal or jute. Anyway, because the carpet doesn't have much give, the guy said that the landing carpet will have to be brought down over the top stair and down the top riser. I thought it could just be secured under the bit at the very top (not sure what it's called!) and then have the runner going all the way to the top.

I can't imagine what this will look like, I have googled and can't find anything to suggest that this is the only way it can be done.......he said it will pop off and then frey if it just secured under the top lip.

Is this correct or is there another solution?

Thanks
Maria x

Sponsored Links
It can be done both ways, there are other options too, but what the fitter is suggesting is because the carpet you have chosen is firm/stiff, the finish over the top nosing will be better if it drops water fall to the base of the riser. I think the fitter is suggesting that if you pin under the top nose, the finish will be lumpy as the carpet is not flexible enough to bend neatly over the top nose and pin underneath.

It is possible that the nose on the landing is shallow, this can mean that the carpet will not satisfactorily pin or fix under the nose. The downside of pinning a nose in this area is that when you look up the stairs, you WILL see all the puckering etc if the carpet is inflexible etc.

If the landing is small, itis possible to shape the carpet over the top nose and riser as per close fitting but cut it to shape like as if it was to be pinned but drop it to the base of the riser. The fitter would likely need to cut this to shape and take it away to have the edges bound at the same time as the stair runner so may require two visits. Easybind edging could be used on site but probably does'nt look quite so good with natural loop carpet as it does with twists, velvets or Axminsters.

I believe the fitter is giving you good advice rather than being awkward, afterall, he knows how he fits the carpet will affect your happiness with the job, he is right to advise re: possible issues, as far as fitting, the two methods you have discussed are no more difficult so I believe he has based his advice on the carpet you have chosen.

Hi

Thank you for your reply and advice. Have you ever seen a runner fit this way? I just can't imagine what it would look like? It is a big purchase and I want to make sure we are going to be happy with it.

Thanks again
Xx

Sponsored Links
It's a very very common way of doing it and it looks fine, but it's not the only way, it depends on the shape of the stair, the type of carpet and the fitters abilities.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back