Fitting skirting board

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm fitting a piece of skirting board to a wall for the first time. Can anyone poitn me in the right direction as how to do this? Would I fix it to the wall with some sort of adhesive or use nails/screws?

Cheers

Andrew

Sponsored Links
Personally i would plug and screw them to the wall. What i did in my house was drill a half inch hole ( using a half inch flat bit ) halfway the thickness of the skirting at 2 or 3 foot intervals and screwed it to the wall, then with a plug cutter i made a load of plugs out of a scrap piece of skirting and covered up all the holes as i left it a pine finish. If your painting it i would just screw it to the wall and fill over the hole with wood filler. If you did want to glue with something like no more nails you would still have to nail it to the wall while the glue dries then take the nails out or bang them in and fill over the holes.

i usually find you can get away with just glueing if the wall is straight -

but if its not and you have to force the board into the wall at any point you need to screw it as advised above . .

Sponsored Links
I fixed mine with an instant grab adhesive no problem. If your walls are reasonable this is fine and I ran a bead of acrylic filler round the top to fill any small gaps and smoothed it off with a wet finger, no nail or screw holes to spoil the finish

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back