Chased in CH pipes behind skirting board

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I browsed the threats but could not find one fitting my situation. I'm planning to fit new skirting boards in the house and have decied on100mm tall MDF skirting.

I haven't fully decided yet whether I'm gonna use screws or the foam adhesive yet (I am inclined to use foam for the perceived simplicity of it but I haven't checked how plumb my walls are for that yet).

However, there are two walls where the radiator pipes have been chased into the wall and the plumbers chased it it right above the floor level :mad:, i.e. right behind where the skirting board. So I guess I will have to use foam at least on those two walls.

I have read that typically the skirting is nailed into the wall until the foam cures but I don't want to do it due to risk of puncturing the pipes behind. What are my options in terms of securing the skirting until the foam cures? Not sure how strong the expansion is. Could I potentially fit the skirting board and then a long plank/batten in front of it and then stack some 5kg dumbbel plates to keep it in place? Buy some cheap bags of sand to use as weights?

Many thanks,
Vilius

Sponsored Links
Have the same in my lounge , just stuck the skirting only with foam adhesive, used correctly there is no expansion . Bucket of paint kept it in place , goes off in about 20ins

I would check how Bowed the walls are first, offer the skirting on that wall and decide what you need to hold it in place. At the same time mark on the wall where you know you can get screws in the wall where there's no pipes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back