Repair wall behind skirting boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having removed several skirting boards i now find the wall behind where the boards were lacks substance - plaster and stuff fell away :)

What is the best stuff to patch up the plaster here. Its down to the brick in many places. Is there a product that I can apply before i refit the skirting boards?

On the same subject is the best plan still to nail skirting boards to the wall? Is no-nails the devils invention?

Sponsored Links
You obviously need bring it out to the surrounding wall level before fitting the skirting. I use traditional render & plaster but the easiest way for you to do it is to stick some plasterboard to the wall using a decent gun grab adhesive rather than drywall adhesive. Fill out to the surrounding wall level with Bonding plaster but if you pick the right board thickness & get the levels right, it will drastically reduce the amount of filler you will need after fitting the skirting. The plaster under the skirting doesn’t have to look good as long as it’s flat enough to fix the skirting to.

Fix the skirting using either traditional clout nails through the PB into the block work or a "decent" grab adhesive; I don’t use “No Nails” ;) . Grab adhesive does have drawbacks & I tend to mix & match but if it's its brick rather than block, best you use adhesive.

Patching plaster is a quick fix, and you may need to screw as well as glue if the walls or skirting are not flat.

Sponsored Links
One-coat plaster is easiest if the plaster above the skirting line needs repairing

If it's just a case of filling the gap to enable the skirting to be fixed, then just use a low expansion foam adhesive such as Insta Stik

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back