Fitting skirting boards - glue rather than screw?

hi , if it was me personally i would use pellets( like softus suggested) , you could get the grain matching up to make the pellets blend in near perfectly, or at least use the odd nail as woody suggested :) ... bear in mind that the gripfill ( or pink grip which i prefer) only sticks to the outside finish of the wall , for example , if the wall is painted it will stick to the paint , so what happens if the wall gets damp??? answer ..the paint peels and the skirting comes away :confused: , ..its a modern quick way of fixing skirting ( on site we gripfill it and then fire a paslode nail in :eek: ) the pin is used to hold the skirting until the grippy goes off!! cheers les

Sponsored Links

Please note forum rule 20

Sorry to resurrect an old thread...

I've just done all the skirting in an old brick build house - I used plasterboard adhesive for most of it.

It sticks solid and fills big gaps where screws won't bite.

If you find it comes away when it's dry, you have a good substrate for a few small plugs drilled from the front.

Best of all, you get a 25kg bag for about a fiver!

Seems like a good tip, but what happens when (if ever) you need to remove the skirting? Does it come away easily?

Sponsored Links
Seems like a good tip, but what happens when (if ever) you need to remove the skirting? Does it come away easily?

Comes off with about the same effort as for sound glue (or filled-in screws), but leaves a fairly flat surface behind for refixing.

If you're pulling off skirting, you're gonna have to be prepared for a little patchwork later anyway ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back