Fitting Square Edge Skirting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Surprisingly i'm after a bit of advice......

I'm going to be fitting mdf square edge single groove skirting similar to the below around our house -

https://skirtingboardsdirect.com/products/mdf-rebate-1-skirting-boards-18mm-thick/

Question relates to how to cut internal corners. I understand the usual way would be to use a scribe joint but just not sure how to apply it in this situation.

Any help appreciated.

Wes

Sponsored Links
Surely that will then leave me with a run through on the rebate? And will the butt joint look any good visually from above?

Not noticeable , but you can put a spot of dec caulk in back section , painting it should hide everything, from above not much different than a mitre or scribe.

Sponsored Links
As Foxhole says, you won't see it. We installed a few thousand feet of that sort of skirting in ash on a job a few years back where the groove was circa 5 x 5mm in size. Every internal corner was butted.

Surely that will then leave me with a run through on the rebate? And will the butt joint look any good visually from above?

As it's mdf and going to be painted I'd agree with what's been said. On hardwood I've also seen ( and done) a housing cut to the depth of the groove to prevent that "run through" . I've also seen and done a small lip mitred into the receiving piece ( in effect making it look like the whole joint is mitred).

I've also seen and done a small lip mitred into the receiving piece ( in effect making it look like the whole joint is mitred).
That's a butt and mitre joint - required for some mouldings such as Grecian ogees with quirks which can't be scribed readily. Not seen much these days in my experience (other than on certain types of refurbs) - probably because it is so time consuming (even the Victorians fgound a faster alternative - the flat skirting with an applied top edge moulding, either rebated or grooved)

Butt and mitre , thanks . Funny how I have done them but couldn't for the life of me think of what they were called , plus I was trying to explain it as simply as possible. I agree about them being very time consuming , was in the specs on one job , one can only think the architect thought people would be spending time staring at the corners of rooms

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back