Thoughts on skirting job...UPDATE

He is taking the urine big time, and he knows it......what else has he wrecked for you?
Don't pay him anything, and ask what he's prepared to do to put things right.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Fortunately he's not done any other work but the skirting & architrave are enough damage! We've actually ended up worse off - the old stuff, although unattractive, was fitted much better!

Just hoping he's not funny about non-payment, although I guess I could always threaten to share the photos to his Facebook page...

Can you show us some of his other work, courtesy Facebook? That guy hasn't a clue.....if he has a picture of quality joinery you can bet it wasn't his.
John :)

Lousy job. I would be rightly ashamed of myself it I had done that and I am no carpenter. Not retrievable in my opinion, remove redo. Absolutely no payment should be expected for that mess. In all honesty I would be thinking about damages.

Sponsored Links
The works crapp, but it's salvageable. The first picture is a common way of doing joints; you cut it at 45 degrees, and then use a coping saw to follow the shape. In picture 2, outside corners are never easy, and often need filling, but he hasn't done that on either one, and that says a lot about his attitude. On the other pictures, it just goes from bad to worse, and is just shoddy workmanship.

You can salvage the work with 2 part wood filler, but you've got to rub it down before it goes off, otherwise you'll be at it for ages. The nail can be knocked in, and then filled, but it's the socket that needs the most care, as you'll need to switch the power off, and remove it before it can be worked on; and unless it's removed, you'll never get a good finish around it. The second to last picture should have been taken up to the moulding, and then chamfered across

Part of the problems, is that it's MDF skirting, and that'll never get as good a finish as pine does, but he should have tidied up the gaps that he's left, and not leave them for the decorator to deal with.

You're real question, is do you want him to redo it, or would you rather get someone else in to sort it out, and then take their costs off of his bill plus a bit more for your hassle - he's entitled to something after all. As you've suggested, if he gets stroppy, tell him you'll be happy to put his work on facebook

Skirting at different levels. Scribed with a squirrel. The skirting has shrunk back at the door jamb. The socket has some home managed to raise above the cut done with an axe.

Yeah, you could fill it but it will be like putting lipstick on a pig.

IMG_9725.jpg

Other examples of his work from his Facebook page above, including one with skirting he replaced (last image).

So general consensus is to not pay for the work and that it's probably better to take it off and start again (using someone different)?

Very hard to believe that is the same person. IMHO I think it would be easier and cheaper to remove and redo. Sorry it's a dog dinner.

They are all ready built units that have been fitted in place, but the I doubt if he did the work.

The works crapp, but it's salvageable. The first picture is a common way of doing joints; you cut it at 45 degrees, and then use a coping saw to follow the shape. In picture 2, outside corners are never easy, and often need filling, but he hasn't done that on either one, and that says a lot about his attitude. On the other pictures, it just goes from bad to worse, and is just shoddy workmanship.

You can salvage the work with 2 part wood filler, but you've got to rub it down before it goes off, otherwise you'll be at it for ages. The nail can be knocked in, and then filled, but it's the socket that needs the most care, as you'll need to switch the power off, and remove it before it can be worked on; and unless it's removed, you'll never get a good finish around it. The second to last picture should have been taken up to the moulding, and then chamfered across

Part of the problems, is that it's MDF skirting, and that'll never get as good a finish as pine does, but he should have tidied up the gaps that he's left, and not leave them for the decorator to deal with.

You're real question, is do you want him to redo it, or would you rather get someone else in to sort it out, and then take their costs off of his bill plus a bit more for your hassle - he's entitled to something after all. As you've suggested, if he gets stroppy, tell him you'll be happy to put his work on facebook

shouldn't need salvaging though.
MDF or not there is no excuse for frayed edges and mis-aligned joints, he should have the tools to make crisp cuts.
External mitres should be glued and pinned tight and internal scribes should be tight too.
Would you say that was salvageable if that was Oak to be varnished.
It's a complete bodge and I wouldn't be paying him for that.
I don't believe those pictures are his work

Have you got a link to his facebook page

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back