Method for fixing skirting over hard floor....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there. I have a carpenter in at the moment as I don't have time to do it myself, but we're not happy with the results as there are uneven gaps under the skirting boards. I'd stressed I didn't want gaps.

Can I just confirm that I'm right In saying that the correct way to do it is to find the highest point around the edge of the floor and sit one board on that, level it out and scribe the floor profile onto it and then fit the other boards levelled up to the first? I need to be sure of my facts before I get into an interesting conversation tomorrow. Are there any reasons why this wouldn' be a good idea?

Many thanks for any advice - this is getting quite stressful!!

Sponsored Links
is it floating floor or normal fixed down boards!!

is it natural wood finnish or panted skirting !!

is the base floor new flooring!!

if its new flooring it should be level so skirting should be fit easily

how big are the gaps!!

its perfectly reasonable if its going to be painted to fill smaller gaps

Hi big-all, many thanks for the reply. It's a floating floor and in some places it's not that level so we have gaps of a cm under the boards and in other places it's touching the floor. The skirting boards are to be painted.

Surely if I try to fill the gaps it will look awful? How would you go about It and what would you use? If the filler is stuck underneath it will be stuck mostly to the wall - surely it will crack between the filler and the skirting?

A cm, that’s a huge gap. I recently fitted new skirting throughout the downstairs of my house over recently laid oak. There were a couple of high points where the wood isn't completely even - one of the joys of real wood.

If the gap was more than a few mm I scribed the high point and cut the skirting. One reason was the look of the gaps, but the other reason was the nightmare of fitting the corners if the skirting is on a slant because it’s sitting on a high spot.

A cm gap is unacceptable in my view.

Disclaimer - I’m not a tradesman, nor a professional.

Sponsored Links
all depends on what has been agreed

if it where me i would fully scribe and leave a half mm gap to allow free expansion of the floor

if he fills the gap with painters mate it will still allow expansion and contraction as it moves but with the possibility off callbacks where the movment has pulled the painters mate off

he may also be planning on beading to finnish if you havent come to a clear understanding!!! :oops: :oops:

Hi there. I have a carpenter in at the moment as I don't have time to do it myself, but we're not happy with the results as there are uneven gaps under the skirting boards. I'd stressed I didn't want gaps.

Can I just confirm that I'm right In saying that the correct way to do it is to find the highest point around the edge of the floor

you would have to pick the lowest point to start from and trim the other boards down over the higher points.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back