Thoughts on skirting job...UPDATE

So called trades people who do work like this should not be near any tools, theres no way he is a carpenterthats even a ****e diyer you need to get your money back.

Sponsored Links
Sadly, people like this are about.....I recently employed a time served 'joiner' to help me with a house renovation - he didn't have a tenon saw, smoothing plane or glass paper. His idea of a satisfactory finish was straight from the jigsaw. :( He was supposed to be with me for 10 days, but after 3 it was bye bye, I'll do it myself.
John :)

He seemed to mainly use a saw, which is how I think we've ended up with such a bad finish. We didn't look properly at his work until he'd gone. Thankfully we haven't paid him yet and I don't intend to unless he can come up with a satisfactory solution. Not sure where we'd stand legally with not paying him, although don't see how he can defend his work.

This is his Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/sambeardsleycarpentry/

Sponsored Links
For sure, there's something adrift here - no one in their right mind would consider your work satisfactory.
Get him back and say 'well Sam - what do you think?

You will needs lots of caulk to tidy that mucking fuddle.
You should not have sockets in skirting need moving up.
Just to clarify for the homeowner if the sockets were already there then you do not have to move them up - with a baby due in 5 weeks they don't need to undertake a rewiring job as well.

As for caulk I wouldn't bother - that skirting has not been done by the same person who did the work in those facebook photos. I would get it re-done it looks like he's cut it with a blunt jigsaw and the fit is awful. I'm a DIY'er (not trade) and the skirting jobs I've done are miles better than that!

I've just taken a look at his facebook page and it looks legit - are you sure he did the work and not an apprentice or something? If it was an apprentice he should still have made sure the work was of a satisfactory standard.

Yes it was definitely him and not an apprentice. I don't understand how the finish can be so bad when he's done other carpentry jobs that have been so much more complicated!

Just gutted we're left in a worse position at the moment and unable to proceed with painting and re-carpeting until/if we hear back from him.

The standard of the work is well below GCSE woodwork, never mind someone qualified! It's a joke and
I don't believe Facebook for an instant.
He needs to speak with you real soon - or 'you may have to contact your legal advisers'.
Be lucky and keep us updated - it's dead easy to give advice under the cover of a keyboard!

So I've had a reply to my email...would welcome your opinions!

My main issue is with the carpentry, not the fact he's not filled the nail holes & caulked the gaps between the skirting and the walls.

I'm not sure the carpentry work is salvageable and I don't just want it bodged with filler, so unsure how to reply:

I am genuinely disappointed you are not happy with the work.
Fitting of skirting doesn't require me to do the prep work ready for painting (unless specifically requested), this is usually undertaken by the decorator after I have finished the job.
I wouldn't want to leave any customer disappointed with my work so would you be available Thursday morning for me to fill any holes, caulk where necessary, and sort out any problems you have with the skirting?

If that work is from a pro carpenter has he had his tools stolen - can be the only excuse... Using old and blunt kit.

No way has that work been done properly, looks like he knows some of the theory but how to apply it practically is not there.

I of the opion a good DIY could do better.

It sounds like he has shares in a caulking manufacturer.....the only place where caulking or filling could be acceptable is under that socket - after levelling it off, naturally.
Both his mitres are ghastly, and as for the skirting meeting the architrave, well I ask you.....
This may sound odd, but its actually very difficult for an experienced joiner to do work as bad as this......its much easier to get it right in the first place.
Stay in touch!

Did he supply and fit the skirting - did he give you any options on materials e.g. mdf, pine etc?

when i was trained it was a gap no greater than 0.5mm or do it again :D
you would get away with perhaps 1mm but the profile had to be level and matched
transition had to be done in a siutable way [return end/ transition block etcd]it had to look finished to the naked eye
but off course it now looks like a blunt bread knife and as long as you can jump the gap its ok:rolleyes:

1or1qu.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back