Fitting UPVC Fascia's and soffit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My existing timber fascia and soffit is in a in a general scabby state thanks to the previous owners like for ivy! So although the timbers are quite sound the work required to clean then all up (all four sides of a detached house) and repaint means it's going to be a very time consuming job and time is one thing i haven't got so I'm going to get UVPC soffits and fascia's fitted!

I've had a couple of quotes and one company is saying they could fit straight over the existing timber total cost £1400 and the other is saying it's best to remove existing timbers and refit from scratch total cost £2100.

Anyone know the pro's and cons of each method?

Sponsored Links
I recently got mine done, it was back ,front and one side semi and it was just fastened over the top of the old stuff and it cost me £420 but that was cheap the guy usually charges £550. It is and excellent job too and all secure. I would shop around foo a better deal than the ones you have been quoted for.

ps. Watch out for the Gypsy's as they are always going around and don't know what they are doing.

£2100 is about right for a four bed detached, complete replacement as long as they do the whole shabang preferably off some kind of staging, two rows of tiles off, felt/eps edging, new rafter feet if needed etc...

:)

Mw Roofline said:
£2100 is about right for a four bed detached, complete replacement as long as they do the whole shabang preferably off some kind of staging, two rows of tiles off, felt/eps edging, new rafter feet if needed etc...

We had a 'quote' from a company who has done some work for our neighbours. before asking them to do the job i had a look at the work they had done for the neighbour.

the fitter had used a sofit around the porch thats too narrow so now the porch roof tiles end about half an inch before the edge of the guttering.

they were gypsies, they are working in swadlincote in derbyshire at the moment. named A1 so if they knock on your door tell then to F*** off. you will know them because they have a lad who only looks about 12 working with them.

tehy have an 0800 number but no other landline number. my advice dont ask anyone to do any work unless you get a written quote detailing everything they will do.

Me and the neighbour are going to sort the porch out.

Sponsored Links
jeepster said:
Mw Roofline said:

they were gypsies, you will know them because they have a lad who only looks about 12 working with them.

Little Ginger, was he :LOL:

Im in the same boat and looking at replacing the 18mm plywood on 2 dormers with white upvc. Can anyone tell me what the difference is between upvc and upvc- ue or is it the same.The dormers are about 15 years of age and the current plywood is starting to de- laminate. I am tempted to do it myself and buy it off the shelf thru the internet plastics suppliers but one of the vertical fascia boards is 450 mm wide and i cant find a supplier. The only other problem is the fact that it has a 50mm felt drip all the way around which is likely to burst. i have been quoted figures of £1500 -£4850 and was surprised at the difference in the figures.(total 26 metres fascia and 19 metres soffit ) any suggestions ?

cabot said:
Im in the same boat and looking at replacing the 18mm plywood on 2 dormers with white upvc. Can anyone tell me what the difference is between upvc and upvc- ue or is it the same.The dormers are about 15 years of age and the current plywood is starting to de- laminate. I am tempted to do it myself and buy it off the shelf thru the internet plastics suppliers but one of the vertical fascia boards is 450 mm wide and i cant find a supplier. The only other problem is the fact that it has a 50mm felt drip all the way around which is likely to burst. i have been quoted figures of £1500 -£4850 and was surprised at the difference in the figures.(total 26 metres fascia and 19 metres soffit ) any suggestions ?
Is anyone out there ?

Well today i'm pleased to announce without any prior experience i successfully replaced all my timber fasias around my garage.Took me a full day to do it and i had to remove rear guttering and 4 brackets.Removed a cctv camera / bracket then replaced all the 14m with quality mahogany facings which look very smart.looks as if it has been done by a professional and all complimented by brown headed nails and complimentary corner joints .i'm knackered but pleased that the whole thing only cost me £139 and had i got a company in to do am sure that they would have charged at least 4 figures.If i can do it anyone can.If i can give a tip measure twice and cut once.No room for error as i had little wastage.

well done cabot! cant beat a bit of job satisfaction. :D

now for the dormers. ;)

I already had the dormers done in plain white and they cost me £1200 by a bunch of chancers who broke dozens of slates on the roof.rather than risk some idiots climbing over my flat roof i did it myself without going on to it and left with very impressive end product .

He guys
I have just finished fitting whole new guttering downpipes and abit of facia board due to the previous fitters installing the fasia over the gutter brackets so I had to take off the fasia but they installed it with nails so the bloody thing broke off. anyway in total the cost for materials came to £200 for a semi detached just abit of ladder work and save yourself thousands while I was doing it we had a number of cold callers at the door offering to finish the job, a quick sharp no thanks.
if your fine on a ladder then give it ago if it goes tits up then ring a company.
6 months ago I knew nothing about this kind of work, I did some research on the net and thought why not.
theres nothing like doing a job your self and the savings are massive.
good luck :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back