Fitting vanity unit / obstruction

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening

I have recently stripped my en-suite pending a full refurb. I produced a design and have ordered units / shower etc.

Upon removing the old vanity this morning I found that there is a cut into the en-suite from the stairway which is immediately below the en-suite. The old vanity was built around the obstruction however my new units are significantly less deep and it would not be possible to cut out such a large piece to fit over the obstruction.

I am looking an possible options one of which was to build a carcass / box to sit immediately behind the new unit and fit a piece of worktop and side sections to match the new unit colour - though I lose all of the space in the box.

Are there any other ideas how best to solve this?

I've attached a photo of the obstruction.

Thanks

Leon

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 188
Sponsored Links
The obstruction is called a bulkhead.

Presumably you previously had, a say 600mm deep vanity, and now you have one less than 400mm deep?
Is there any chance of swapping out the new vanity for a deeper one?

You have no chance of fully cutting in a narrow unit - it will be destroyed. You could pull it forward and use a filler piece and an end panel.

I have got over this kind of thing by customising a kitchen base unit with, and covering with a piece of laminate worktop.
And then letting in a small basin.

Thank you . I think i will try and use some sort of filler piece and bring the unit forward.. It's 305mm deep, the previous was 500mm.

Would you just build the filler piece or is there something you can buy to do this?

Sponsored Links
Rather than try and make the filler fit perfectly to the worktop I would look at making a feature such as a raised shelf with a vertical front to hide the gap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back