Fitting Wall Cupboards to Laminated Plasterboard Wall (No St

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Not Sure if this is the right forum but as its to do with Palster board here goes!

I have recently bought a house built Circa 1999-2000, and we are in the middle of modernising the kitchen.
When we initially viewed the property i was confused as to why there were no wall cupboards on the internal dividing wall between the kitchen and Living room but just assumed that was something I coudl rectify once we moved in.
However over last week I have had some work done which involved a new door way being cut into this internal wall to create a storage area under the stairs.

Whilst cutting the door it became apparent that the construction of the wall was made up of essentially 3 layers of plasterboard.
a standard 9-12mm thickness board on the external sided with a much thicker board in the middle.
The outer boards are essentially dot & dabbed onto the thicker internal board.
But here is the Kicker there does not appear to be any studwork present in the wall whatsoever.
Which no probably explains why no wall cupboards have ever been fitted.
Is there a way around this? as I presume the use of standard Fischer type Plaster Board Anchors or self drilling metal raw plugs will not be sufficient.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
This was not usual, but certainly not unheard of.

There will be a thin batten top and bottom (along celing and floor) and sides (abutting walls) to which on one side side, the outside boards are fixed vertically.

Then the middle boards stuck to these horizontally(depending on the area)

Then the remaining outside board stuck onto the middle boards.

Usually then 1/2", 3/4", 1/2" boards.

So if you want to hang units there you will have to build a supporting framework to do this, or have full height units that are supported from the floor.

You can't rely on the laminate wall to support anything more than a picture

Perhaps another forum, carpentry or something will help?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back