Fitting Worcester 10l expansion vessel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just purchased a Worcester Bosch 10l expansion vessel for my WB greenstar boiler as the internal vessel membrane has gone (pressure dropping on boiler and water coming out the schrader valve on the expansion vessel)

http://www.worcester-boiler-spares....ESMOOR+12/14-OSO-GB+(FEB+1998)+OIL+SYS+BOILER

I won't risk trying to swap out the internal one but fitting an external one seems fairly straightforward.

The plan is to "T" into the CH return using a 22mm to 15mm tee, then running some 15mm pipe up to the new 10l expansion vessel mounted on the wall about a foot from the boiler.

What I don't get is with this particular expansion vessel the big white sticker on it kind of suggests that the schrader valve will be at the bottom half of the vessel and the 3/4 connector will be at the top?

Is that right? I would've thought the schrader should be at the top?

I thought maybe it was just my one but every google image I find also seems to show it with the schrader valve at the bottom?

Os it the right way up or not? Or doesn't it matter?

I thought maybe it might need to be mounted horizontally but the wall mount bracket that comes with it doesn't look like it would work in that orientation

Sponsored Links
Because the old one is internal, costs more and is difficult to get to.

Sponsored Links
The water section and air section is separated by a rubber diaphragm, so doesn't really matter what way up it goes, so you can fit it air valve to top if you want.
And you didn't have to buy a Worcester one because you have a Worcester boiler, an Alcatec or similar cheaper one would have done.

Why make work.
Just swap like for like.

Swapping like for like is always going to be the best resolution,if you purchased your expansion vessel online then you can return it (you pay postage only) and get a refund or ask if the online parts company can get you the correct vessel.

Not knowing the way your boiler is fitted it should not take a rgi more than a couple of hours to fit the correct vessel,add inhibitor etc.

Your purchased part is specific to the danesmoore range of boilers and not supplied with a wall
expansion-vessel-mounting-bracket_11353_P_1.jpg
mounting bracket/kit although this should should work https://www.bes.co.uk/expansion-vessel-mounting-bracket

Still consider having the correct vessel fitted.

I've just purchased a Worcester Bosch 10l expansion vessel for my WB greenstar boiler as the internal vessel membrane has gone (pressure dropping on boiler and water coming out the schrader valve on the expansion vessel)

http://www.worcester-boiler-spares.co.uk/WorcesterParts.aspx?manu=WORCESTER&partno=87161425040&app=DANESMOOR+12/14-OSO-GB+(FEB+1998)+OIL+SYS+BOILER

I won't risk trying to swap out the internal one but fitting an external one seems fairly straightforward.

The plan is to "T" into the CH return using a 22mm to 15mm tee, then running some 15mm pipe up to the new 10l expansion vessel mounted on the wall about a foot from the boiler.

What I don't get is with this particular expansion vessel the big white sticker on it kind of suggests that the schrader valve will be at the bottom half of the vessel and the 3/4 connector will be at the top?

Is that right? I would've thought the schrader should be at the top?

I thought maybe it was just my one but every google image I find also seems to show it with the schrader valve at the bottom?

Os it the right way up or not? Or doesn't it matter?

I thought maybe it might need to be mounted horizontally but the wall mount bracket that comes with it doesn't look like it would work in that orientation

If you're just going to fit an external one, why spend £70+ on a one designed to fit internally, then try to bodge it together to fit somewhere it's not designed to, when you could spend £25 on a proper external vessel that is actually designed to be mounted externally? It doesn't matter where the Schraeder valve is, they all work the same way

I bought it from eBay (brand new in box, including a wall mount bracket!) for £20 - that's cheaper than any 10ltr expansion vessel I could find. The bloke selling it told me he'd asked his wife to stick some bits on eBay for him and she'd listed the expansion vessel at the wrong price (he actually wanted £50 for it) but he would honour the price as I'd already paid for it.

I can see you can get a few different ones on screwfix for around the £30 mark where you have to buy a wall bracket separately, but why pay more if I can get a Worcester one for £20?

For the last poster who said you can mount them whatever way you want... thank you! That's all I needed to know!

It's easier to drain them with the Shraeder valve on top and system connection at the bottom.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back