Fitting your own PVC windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to have the windows replaced in my house. i was wondering can I not just get the windows made up by our local company and fit the windows myself? I have fitted PVC patio doors in the passed and it was a doddle. Is there some way of getting the coucil to approve the job as I will not have a FENSA cert.?

Lastly, is it worth doing it myself, will I actually save that much money?

Sponsored Links
You'd need to get conventional building regulations approval, quite simple, fill in form, inspector comes out, gives you a certificate. My local authority charge about £100 although it varies depending where you are. Check out your local authority website and here: http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/england/genpub/en/1115313928822.html

Whether its cheaper depends totally on how much you spend on the windows, you can get cheap windows and you can get expensive ones, window companies don't really offer 'free' fitting, they just build it in to the overall cost, you do the math!

I would say you would be looking at around £50 per window and £60 per door.
More if there is a lot of trimming up to do..
I guess it all depends on what £/hour you place on your spare time :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back