Fittings taps - putty/mastic required?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Now I've fitted my taps I've just read that I should possibly have used either putty or jointing compound between the top of the tap and the basin. The taps came with a plastic nut and a rubber washer. I presumed that the rubber washer should go between the top of the tap and the basin and the plastic nut should be turned hard up against the bottom of the basin. Does anyone know if this is correct?

Why is it so difficult to find this sort of info? All the books I've looked at just say fit the washer and tighten the back nut or something equally unhelpful.

Sponsored Links
Books are often written by people who have not done the job, so they don't know about the problems they are generating. They have acheived their goal, they have sold the book.

As far as i am aware you only need the rubber washer between the tap and the basin, and a plastic nut under the basin. Where did you read that you should have used putty or jointing compound? I would use silicone gel (which plumbers merchants sell in a little tin) on the washer if you really need to.

The only other bit you may need is a plastic piece called a "top hat " which you fit between the basin and nut to provide further stability for the tap if you need it. Although two holes drilled in wood for the tap tails is probably a better option.

oilman said:
Books are often written by people who have not done the job, so they don't know about the problems they are generating. They have acheived their goal, they have sold the book.
Yep ! We get them at work,the university student type where the world owe them a living and never done a day work in their life :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
I hate plumbers mait which used to be used under taps. I also always find that I can turn a whole tap, especially when flexy connectors have been used.

I don't recognise Peter's silicone gel. If you put silicone sealant or silcone grease on the rubber washer it will slide about and not stay put.
I usually find the rubber washerrs are hopeless, so I fill the hole and under the tap with sanitary silicone. When it's thoroughly set you won't shift it and it wont leak.

Hi Chris,

I think When I said slicone gel i meant silcone grease. Isn't the difference between silicone sealant and silicone grease that sealant has to be left to dry but grease never dries so it works imnmediately? I don't understand why the washer would move about if you put silcone grease on it. Surely if the washer could move about then the tap hasnt been screwed down tightly enough .

is sanitary silicone the same as silicone sealant?

What sort of sealant do you use to fit a kitchen sink to the waste pipe. Under my sink there's lots of dark stuff around the joint. Do you know what that could be?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back