Slight leak from underside of basin waste

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have fitted some new taps and a new waste to my existing bathroom sink.
Taps are fine, but i have a slight leak from underneath the basin.
It appears to be coming from between the underside of the basin where the rubber washer and plastic nut tighten onto the porcelain.
I did have a concern as the hole underneath in the porcelain did not appear to be consistent all the way around so i applied more of a liberal amount of sealant than would typically be necessary.
Looking more closely at it now, the shape of the porcelain has caused the rubber washer to bulge out a little so i think this is the cause.
I looked for a 1.5" equivalent of a shaped trap washer (see this link http://www.diy.com/departments/plumbsure-trap-washer-pack-of-3/178382_BQ.prd ) but could only find a 1.25" so just used the standard flat rubber washer that came with the waste.

I was mindful not to over-tighten the plastic nut by the way.

I am resigned to the fact that i will have to dismantle and redo but wanted to see if anyone can offer any advice as to how to prevent this happening the next time please ?

FYI, this was the order from top to bottom :

Waste
Foam washer
Bead of sealant
Top of basin
Underside of basin
Sealant
Rubber washer
Plastic nut

Many thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
thanks newboy
DAMN....just realized that the original waste was 1.5" where as the new one is 1.25" !!!! :oops:

are my eyes correct newboy.....is the shaped rubber washer threaded ??

Sponsored Links
Not threaded just ribbed - forms a very tight seal on the threads which is where the leak usually comes from. Basin wastes are always 1 1/4" - sink waste are 1 1/2". (you don't have a sink in your bathroom, you have a basin - sinks are for kitchens!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back