Fix 1 roof tile

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, see pic, the end ridge tile has come loose. How do I fix this please? Is it cement I need?

ta

Attachments

• F86912DD-2147-48F8-B046-CD0DFC5C2147.jpeg
    F86912DD-2147-48F8-B046-CD0DFC5C2147.jpeg
    349.3 KB · Views: 179
Sponsored Links
con1_uk, good evening.

Short answer is yes, if we are talking about the left hand lowest hip tile on the extension roof?

Carefully remove the old cement and replace the tile using what you see in place now as a guide as to how much cement to use to re-bed the tile.

If you enlarge the image you posted, you will see that there are numerous areas on the hip tile that have missing mortar and especially at the joints of individual tiles.

Difficult to tell but the original bedding mortar may have been coloured?? if you use a sand cement un-coloured mortar, the new mortar will show up for a long time as a very different colour?? just a consideration??

As an aside?? your neighbour is about to loose his / her dry verge at the bottom right of his/her roof slope nearest yo your property?

Ken.

Last edited:
Cheers Ken, not too worried about the colour difference so will crack on with your advice thanks. Regarding the other hip tiles with the missing mortar do I keep them in place and fill in the missing please?

ta

Sponsored Links
Proper way is to lift and rebed the hip tiles, point up using the same mortar as the bed.

Thanks all, I have rebedded the tile, looks good.

next question, whilst up there I have found one of the normal wavy tiles has broken off but not enough to cause a leak just cosmetic, how can I fix the tile back together please?

Thanks all, I have rebedded the tile, looks good.

next question, whilst up there I have found one of the normal wavy tiles has broken off but not enough to cause a leak just cosmetic, how can I fix the tile back together please?
I glued mine (window cleaner:rolleyes:) with Stixall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back