Fix for Cracked Freezer Compartment Drawers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Smeg freezer compartment drawers have started to crack. I have rather unprofessionally 'fixed' them with superglue. I am presuming that it won't be long before the plastic comes apart again along the already existing fault lines.

Could someone recommend:

1) A way to properly affix the broken plastic together, the next time it breaks.
2) A suitable paint that could be used to cover up the mess made with the super glue.

Alternatively, I might be able to replace the baskets altogether, though since the freezer is 14 years old doubt I can get original parts. The model is Smeg UKFL164A.

Thanks

ukfl164a.png

Sponsored Links
Well, you have certainly made a bit of a mess.

The only substance that can remove superglue is Acetone. Normally found in the home as Nail Polish Remover. However, you may find that this also damages the white plastic of the draw. Using a cotton bud and testing on a small area will reveal if it will.

The more manual method is using a razor blade. One of those 5 packs or traditional safety razor types. That may be sharp and thin enough to take off the superglue without damaging the plastic too much.

Personally I would then buy some superfine white Milliput (available on ebay for about £4). It is a two part epoxy filler. You mix two amounts of similar proportions and mould it like clay. You don't have to use it all. So experiment with a smallish amount at first. I have repaired a lot of things with it.

I would use it to repair the cracks from the internal side. Basically re-enforcing it and go over the crack. That will set hard enough to repair the crack. Basically go over it like a clay plaster.

If you can get the superglue off without too much damage...great.

If not and it leaves a mess still, and you want to try and cosmetically fix it....spray paint may work.

Try to get the surface smooth. If it is not very smooth you may want to try super super fine grades of sandpaper. Maybe even 1000grit wet/dry type. Then spray it with a white primer spray paint, leave to dry and then a white spray paint. Don't spray on the internal drawer.

Do it in a well ventilated place. Don't rush it. Spray evenly from a good distance.

The only other alternative is to hunt for a replica on Ebay, or contact Smeg customer services and see if they have a parts department.

Good Luck!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back