Fix for Leaking Gutter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A section of drainpipe at the back of my house is leaking / overflowing when it rains. Basically the water is flowing in the wrong direction but it is difficult to fix because the house itself has subsided over time so is off level. I think what I need is to fit an extra section of pipe that will take the water away :

gutter_pic.png

My questions are

1.) Is this the best way to fix the problem ?

2.) If so :

- What kind of drainpipe would I need to buy, i.e type and section names? Could I get them from B&Q ?

- What tools would I need ?

- What would be the basic procedure?

Thankyou !

Sponsored Links
Sorry it isn't obvious in the picture. It was mentioned in the survey when we brought the house ; there are wonky door frames, off level ceilings and floors etc it is an old house so it's long term.

Even if it's level, or slightly sloped against the desired flow, the depth of the guttering (60mm) should mean that the water will still find the down pipe.

There must be something else going on?

Sponsored Links
Well, water is definitely leaking out of the wrong end, quite a steady drip of quite a lot of water when/after it has been raining.

Some water is flowing down the down pipe from the gutter in the picture as intended, but in that far right corner of the gutter it is not.

Have you been up there to check that the downpipe isn't blocked, or the gutter filled with debris?

It could even be as simple as the stop-end seal is perished on the opposite end, which is a £2 part.

Just went up there, there was indeed a lot of debris/moss in the gutter which I have cleared out.

I then did a quick test with a jug of water to see which way the water was flowing in the right corner ; it was still flowing in the wrong direction / pooling at the end.

I expect clearing out the debris will help a lot so thanks for that. I should have realised as the problem has got a lot worse since I last cleared them out.

However based on the results from my test I expect the leak will still occur. What should I do next ?

If you want to run a new length of angled downpipe rather than resolving the gradient of your guttering, you'd buy one of these: https://www.screwfix.com/p/floplast-half-round-stop-end-outlet-112mm-black/28767

...along with a 90 degree elbow and a couple of other joints to make it work.

Personally, I'd try to remove and re-fit the guttering brackets so that the gradient on the guttering is restored.

Thanks for your help ! Not sure which way to go yet, may call in a professional.

Photos can be deceptive, but if the barge board of your single storey rear extension is used as a reference then the fall in the guttering doesn't look too far out.

There is no bracket to the left of the outlet, you’ll be able to unscrew the outlet and pull it down an inch or two, then refit the brackets to the right a little higher. Don’t fit another down pipe, it will look shyte.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back