Fix the old boiler or go for a New Boiler...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have just moved into a 1930s based 3 bed semi which has an old Glowworm ep50f Economy plus boiler in room under the stairs and water tanks up in the loft.

I have a couple of problems (i) Water dripping out of overflow when heating on and (ii) the boiler seems to struggle when getting to higher temps (as it will come on as required and water and radiators heat up ok and then it will stop.. at first I thought it was the room thermostat but I have change it (the existing one looked horrible anyway). It will then constantly heat up for a couple of mins and then stop for 10 secs and then heat up again...

As I am covered by BG homecare I have called them out, but I thought I would experts before BG arrive (only joking)

If I were to replace the boiler what make should I be looking at and what rough figure should I be planning to spend (I would want the installer to take all the crap from the loft too)

Any help would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
How much rubbish have you got stored in your loft?

If you lived in London we would replace your boiler for under £2k. But that would not include removing stored junk from your loft!

Tony

How much rubbish have you got stored in your loft?
He's not talking about stored personal effects. :rolleyes:

What the hell is wrong with you?

If you lived in London we would replace your boiler for under £2k. But that would not include removing stored junk from your loft!
twin2104 - this is the kind of answer you get from someone with their head stuck in a bottle.

You won't get much in the way of accurate price information on this site, because the site rules discourage the asking of prices.

Sponsored Links
OK.. so I now know which boiler to go for... I was after a rough guidline price and it sounds like 2K should do it.

I also like some advice about the problems explained in previous posts, so I can bounce ideas of the BG expert (cough cough)..

Cheers

BG will probably fit a new ideal boiler they love them, and will be looking for about 4k maybe a tad more, in my experience i would go for a smaller company. Just my thought, see what others think, i dont like to pick on others.

Have a look at www.npower.com Only £100 to fit new boiler.. Look at VIP comp. for details
You need to read the small print for the offer :!:

They only promise to beat the first quote you get from British Gas or give you £100.

They most definitely do not offer to install a boiler for £100 :!: :LOL: :LOL: :cry: :cry: ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back