New House OLD Boiler!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys, I just moved into a new house, new house to me but a 1880s Victorian 3 story semi. When I viewed the house 3 months back I noticed the old Potterton boiler in the kitchen was sitting in the place where a cooker range would happily sit. The Potterton pipe from top goes out of old kitchen chimney and therefore fumes rise out of chimney at top of house. I negotiated 4K from house price so I could pay for new boiler and install.
Since moving in I realise boiler only heats water (tiny tank for house on first floor in cupboard) when central heating is on. So therefore I have to have hot water and heating coming on at set times to heat water. I have turned off all rad’s so my house is not a sweat box but I can see boiler is on last legs and as I have one baby and another coming in October I want to get this all renewed ASAP. I want to clear the space in the kitchen for a range cooker and relocate boiler onto first floor.
The top floor of the house is a large open plan room which is crying out for a on-suit bathroom. Also in this room (loft room style) is a big cold water tank stored in the eve’s.
All the Rad’s are good so I think (hope) I can just have a new boiler. There are two bathrooms both on 1st floor, one has a bath and sink, water pressure is lousy running bath. The other bathroom has double shower which is run via a pump in the same cupboard with hot water tank. The pump is noisy and not very powerful for such a great shower.
This cupboard does not back onto a side wall so therefore I would of thought that if a boiler could be housed in this cupboard the flu could be run into the smallest bedroom along top of wall and out onto side of house.

My question/s are what would be a recommendation brand of boiler for a house this size that will give me good or better still very good water pressure that will also happily serve the loft rooms on-suet (when I have money to fit), and the 2 bathrooms and kitchen.

One other thing is the house is halls adjoining so under the stairs there is a big space which would be a great downstairs loo but toilet water waste would have no place to go. Is there any system that can go in a house like this ? I did hear of a ‘Pump Toilet’, what is that?

James

Sponsored Links
You really need a competent heating engineer to advise you on site.

For example you normally need 2.5 m of land in YOUR ownership to discharge a flue across. But there are some clever flueing solutions like the Halstead twin flexible which can go up an old chimney.

Unventeds depend on adequate mains wather supply which needs to be measured before even considering the best system.

The make and model comes last after the system has been specificed. There is no best boiler! Just lots of different makes at different prices. The cheapest will usually perform as well as the most expensive if its correctly fitted and maintained. Like a Ford will get you there just as well as a Rolls but at much less cost.

Tony Glazier

2.5M is only advisory I believe. 600mm is the stated reg for a flue firing towards a boundary or imaginary boundary line.

2.5 m is what Building Control work to ( and EHOs follow ) because its the figure quoted in the proposals which have not yet been incorporated into statute.

Your 600mm is for the distance to the SIDE of a flue from a boundary except that as far as I can tell its actually only 300 mm.

Tony

Sponsored Links
If 2.5m is not yet incorporated into statute it is not enforceable in disputes and LBC should know better :LOL:

Go with what is in the manufacturers installation guide IMO

Agile said:
2.5 m is what Building Control work to ( and EHOs follow ) because its the figure quoted in the proposals which have not yet been incorporated into statute.

Your 600mm is for the distance to the SIDE of a flue from a boundary except that as far as I can tell its actually only 300 mm.

Tony
300mm is indeed the parrallel distance from a flue to the boundary, but 600mm is the facing minimum distance.

Building Control use the 2.5 m as the minimum distance which will not cause undue annoyance to the neighbour under Building Regs.

The 600 mm to an opposing wall is a Gas Safety and Use requirement but that was a figure that dates back to the days of natural draught "flat" terminals.

Most end discharge fanned flue terminals will cause some recirculation of POC if only 600 away from an opposing wall. Without 1200 some recirculation is likely but not all MI incorporate that figure though.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back