Central Heating cost.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am considering purchasing a 1930's 3 bedroom semi detached house. It currently has a water heater in a small airing cupboard in the bathroom and no central heating. Before I make an offer on the house I would like to have a rough idea how much a full central heating system would cost.

I am assuming that nothing from the original water heating system can be reused. As the house has 2 reception rooms, 3 bedrooms and the usual kitchen, bathroom and toilet, I guess I would be looking for 6 or 7 radiators and a towel radiator in addition to hot water. I presume a combi boiler would be most suitable. There is already a gas supply to house house used in the kitchen for a cooker and the dining room for a gas fire.

Am I looking at £5000 or £15000 as a budgetary cost?

Any guidance would be helpful.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
anyone fitting 6rad and a good blr for 2.5k want putting down.

how on earth can u make a profit ie;
heatpack at least £1400 plus vat plus pipe,clips,fittings,gas safe registration,insurance,tax,van the list goes on an on......

Thanks for the info. I'll stick £5k in the budget as that should cover it.

heatpack at least £1400 plus vat plus pipe,clips,fittings,gas safe registration,insurance,tax,van the list goes on an on......

You can get a boiler and 7 rads for half that price.

Won't be what you would call a 'good boiler' but that's how some make a profit.

I am considering purchasing a 1930's 3 bedroom semi detached house. It currently has a water heater in a small airing cupboard in the bathroom and no central heating. Before I make an offer on the house I would like to have a rough idea how much a full central heating system would cost.
Tell the vendors that your offer is subject to them obtaining and providing you with three written quotes for the installation of full central heating from Gassafe registered installers. Say that your offer assumes the cost will not exceed £4000 and you reserve the right to renegotiate if the lowest quote is greater than this.

Your solicitor will handle this for you.

although of course the vendor has the right to tell you to **** off.

Don't know where you buy your kit from :eek:

I get a brilliant Broag 28c combi and 7 rads, delivered on a pallet for £1100 inc VAT.

http://www.boilers2go.co.uk/search.php?mode=search&page=1

Just got to go to the right places, ie. not plumb centre!

although of course the vendor has the right to tell you to p**s off.
Agreed, but the vendor is not in a very strong position with a house which is still in the dark ages, unless he has priced it well below market value. Most prospective purchasers will be trying to knock £10-20K of the price to allow for central heating; and who knows what other updates are required - double glazing cavity and loft insulation etc.

If I was the vendor I would get quotes for a new heating system and any other work so I was in a strong position to negotiate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back