Whole new central heating system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. Im new to all this and need a bit of advice.

I have just bought a 3 bedroom terrace with 3 receptions rooms and the whole house from top to bottom needs central heating and boiler etc as it has nothing inside.

I think i have to fit rads in the 3 reception rooms 3 bedrooms and hallway but going to have a towel rad in the bathroom with underfloor heating and underfloor heating in the kitchen.

I was just wondering what the best system would be for my needs and cost? I have not got any quotes yet and i'm not going to moan about labour costs as i do not have a clue what that would amount to. I would just like a guestimate to help me on my why.

Thank you :)

Sponsored Links
to be honest, i wouldn't even hazard a guess except to say that it would be a 4 figure number.

if you are serious about doing it then get 3 written and itemised quotes (plus one from british gas just for a giggle and to show what the upper limit is).

give each quoter a basic written spec of what you want and try and compare like for like - ask him to write - which boiler he is pricing for, is it plastic or copper pipe, will the pipework be surface run or hidden, which control is he using wired/wireless rf - try and cover all the main points, but get detail.

if for instance two installers are powerflushing the old pipework and the others aren't, then the quotes are not like for like. i know a guy who is considered very good, but i have also noticed him cutting a lot of corners far too fine when i have done work with him.

then come back and ask the guys if the price and package seems fair.

Prices will vary depending on where you are in the country...

I don't particularly like to give numbers on the internet, but what I will say is, in Greater Manchester you are more likely to get it done for less than you are in Kent.

On average, a Boiler is going to cost anything from £700 to £3000 depending on what you require from it.

Obviously, quality comes with the price, and I think I speak for all engineers when I say you get what you pay for.

With regards to radiators etc. - again, it depends on what you want. The size of a room, its insulating properties and available wall space will all play factors in deciding which radiators are best. And you will only gauge this by inviting a Heating Engineer who can 'size the property'.

There are regulations in place which require certain 'efficiency' products to be installed, so for every radiator, expect £10-£20 to be added for the appropriate Temperature Control Valves.

If you decide to have 'underfloor heating' - you will require a manifold, which will not be cheap to buy or have installed. Along with this you will also require more valves to control the 'zones' of your property.

It is not as easy as it seems I'm afraid.

Some of us have spent upto 5 years as Apprentices to gain the relevant experience for this job. It's not as simple as throwing a radiator on the wall and plugging pipes in, even if that's what it looks like!

There are plenty of types of systems for your home, almost too many to mention in a post!

Your best bet is to do as mentioned; Call a few people up, arrange for them to come on seperate days, so they don't bump into each other, and compare their quotes.

There is NOTHING WORSE than arriving at a job to see ANOTHER ENGINEER LEAVING! :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
complementing what bluemoon has written, which fuel are you thinking of?

Now, this next bit is not a 'guarantee' of quality of work, but, if the fuel is Gas (mains Natural through a meter or tanked -LPG) the applaince installer MUST BE GASSAFE registered see www.gassaferegister.co.uk for how to find one local to you - its on its fron page in a BIG yellow box.

If it is going to be Oil fired, it ought to be an OFTEC registered installer

If Solid Fuel, a HETAS approved installer,

The work need to be notified to your Building Control office (usually by those registered operatives), for your protection as the property owner.

Both the CIPHE www.ciphe.org.uk and the APHC www.aphc.co.uk will recommend their own registered/fully insured/competency checked independently members etc

Both these organisations have robust complaints procedures - should something untoward happen.

SO to sum up, get three quotes (ragged trousered installers on their way home to tea poking their heads into cupboards/roofspaces muttering about flue clearances, saying their own favourite brand of boiler is the biz can get a little wearing - apparently :rolleyes: ). Ask yourself which one(s) do you feel most comfortable with, perhaps your new neighbours can recommend one?

Just a few thoughts there, but one golden rule, do not go for the cheapest, and if they ask for money up-front? and can start tomorrow? why?

DH

look gas "fitters" are not engineers. this term came over to the private sector from british gas i hate it when some **** has done a 6 month course straight from the dole que then has the cheek to call him self an engineer!!!!!!!!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back