Siting/Location of Boiler in new installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello There, I am planning a complete plumbing installation of a Domestic and Central Heating system using a Combi boiler in an old terrace house on 3 floors :
Galley kitchen in new single storey extension at rear,
Bathroom on 1st floor at rear -with Shower, Bath, toilet, sink and Shower,
Attic en suite with Shower toilet and sink.
My question for anybody who can advise, What is the best location for the Combi Boiler in the house please.
I am thinking of two options which are (1) in a cupboard next to the Bathroom on the first floor (which is directly under the planned shower in the attic or...
(2) In the kitchen at the rear of the building (new extension).
The Gas and water entry points are at the front of the old property.
Cheers and Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I haven't got one yet. I have a Builder sorted -but it will be a while before he starts. I will ask him when I see him, but at the moment I'm trying to get ideas of how the installation will be planned and it will give me an idea of how much all the materials will be.

An outside wall would be a start, although not completely necessary.

Sponsored Links
Yeah I agree, that's why one of my options was the kitchen, but it will be so far away from the Bathrooms -especially the attic one and the shower (eg) pipes would take a while before they got hot...but is that a problem worth accepting to get the vent out easily if it's sited in the kitchen.

Main things you need to consider are;

Pipe run from meter to boiler
Connecting into hot and cold water system
Connecting F and R pipes to heating
Provision for condensate pipe connection to waste system
Pressure release valve pipe through wall
Minimum clearences around boiler for servicing, etc (see individual manus. specs)
Flue location.

Often the flue will be the major consideration. You can find details in boiler manufacturer's installation PDFs online. The above list is not exhaustive.

I haven't got one yet.
why not find one, get some quotes sorted now, then you'll know for sure. Dont ask a builder, they havent a clue when it comes to heating. no one ever asks me how to build an extension for the same reason.

It is a good idea to get some quotes. The Builder has told me he will do everything including all the plumbing and I do know him and his record of doing other renovations. I do have an interest in which way he will do it so I want to get ideas from you guys in what the best plan of attack is and obviously talk it through with the builder.

Just a note to Whitespirit66 and apart from a 'thanks' for his and everyones replies, he has got me thinking about his 'importance' of the run from (I assume that he means) the gas meter which is at the front of the house to the boiler which from all your comments is best located in the new kitchen at the very end of the new extension -which will be 14 or 15 metres away. There will also be a Gas fire situated along this run.
It will be a new gas meter'cos the old one is condemned -in fact it the gas has been cut off because of old lead piping.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back