Fixed rail mitre saw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I’m looking to get a new mitre saw, however, the long sliding rail at the back isn’t going to work for me as i don’t have space to put it. I need a fixed rail one. Im not in trade or a professional carpenter just a DIY’er therefore, Makita,Bosch, Dewalt,festool price wise isn’t going to work for me. I found a great Hyundai one however, it doesn’t offer depth setting which I need for trench cuts.

any suggestions ?

p.S I love Ryobi, however, some things are just stupid with their ONE+ system. I can’t imagine many people would want a mitre saw that is powered by battery, I can see Ryobi do exactly what I want (2000w) however, you can only buy it in Australia. Can someone explain why ? What’s wrong with Uk market ?

Sponsored Links
I can’t imagine many people would want a mitre saw that is powered by battery,
Lots of trade , working on site , or peoples houses would , as a diyer , I havent - but to be honest if it was the only choice to give me the specs i wanted i probably would buy cordless

what is the budget - I know my dewalt does that - and i have up against a garage wall - with a right angle for dust extraction on a henry seems to work OK ish

Lots of trade , working on site , or peoples houses would , as a diyer , I havent - but to be honest if it was the only choice to give me the specs i wanted i probably would buy cordless

what is the budget - I know my dewalt does that - and i have up against a garage wall - with a right angle for dust extraction on a henry seems to work OK ish
Thank you for your response. Sure I understand that some tradesmen work on site and might not have access to mains power, but I would imagine most of the time mitre saws are stationary plus Ryobi I guess wouldnt be the first choice for a trades person. I always thought is more for convenience I.e. no wires. yes and I love dewalt, however, they are waay too expensive of you go for 254 mm blade .

I found some great dewalt saws, but they either slide backwards or £700

do you know which model have you got ?

My budget is around £300 mark.

dewalt [774/777]and bosch and probably more do saws with the rails facing forward or compact lever mechanism

Sponsored Links
dewalt and bosch and probably more do saws with the rails facing forward or compact lever mechanism
Yeah just a bit out of my price range unfortunately, I guess you get what you pay for

can anyone recommend scheppach as a brand ? any good ?

i got a deal around 2018/19 ish
DWS778
but was under £400 then

looking at FFX prices have gone through the roof !!!!
i cant find a 240v on FFX
this is mine

I suspect the availability may not have change - i was looking at table saws etc last year and the delay on getting kit was silly - so that may also be a factor

and you know you need SMS and not just a chop saw

i got a deal around 2018/19 ish
DWS778
but was under £400 then

looking at FFX prices have gone through the roof !!!!
i cant find a 240v on FFX
this is mine

I suspect the availability may not have change - i was looking at table saws etc last year and the delay on getting kit was silly - so that may also be a factor

and you know you need SMS and not just a chop saw
Yeah it’s £600 on ffx now.

I found this which functionality wise is perfect, just trying to find some reviews on this saw.

Sounds more like the OP needs a radial arm saw than a mitre saw. Not common rhese days, and not cheap either, but quite a number of second hand models around

The main "problem" with the small deWalts such as the DW777 (i.e. the models derived from the original Elu PS174 design), is that they lack a trenching facility. I have a 12 year old one and frankly the lack of trenching has never really been an issue because I have a router and I don't often cut housings. I don't use or need a laser much on account of having a fully functioning mk.1 eyeball - and a sharp pencil

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds more like the OP needs a radial arm saw than a mitre saw. Not common rhese days, and not cheap either, but quite a number of second hand models around

The problem with the small deWalts such as the DW777 (i.e. the models derived from the original Elu PS174 design), is that they lack a trenching facility. I have a 12 year old one and frankly the lack of trenching has never really been an issue because I have a router and I don't often cut housings. I don't use or need a laser on account of having a fully functioning mk.1 eyeball - and a shsrp pencil
Yeah I saw that one 330 quid 216 mm blade a bit too small for me and too expensive. I just went with the lumberjack one should be sufficient enough for my diy projects. i don’t usually use lasers too, they never seem to match the blade and are out by 2-3 mm. So definitely not a selling feature to me.
thank you

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back