Fixing a big hole for radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A radiator has come off the wall. It had been hung on a brick wall which had layers of plaster on top! Problem is the screw as well as the rawplug has come out. and the hole lets is massive. What can I do top repair this and re-drill new holes? The holes need to be in the same place as the radiator cannot be moved.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
you could try chemical fixings, where you place a plastic insert and threaded bar in to the wall and then use a special chemical to adhere it in to the wall. It is very strong and should be able to take up the additional size of the hole as long as it is not too big

Good luck

Buy yourself a wee bag of sand and cement and a cheap plaster's trowel. Just mix it up and slam it in the hole (wet the area first). Wait for it to stiffen (5 to 20 minutes depending on absorbancy of wall) and slice off any protubing bits with the edge of the trowel so it is flush. Do this carefully so it doesn't all fall out. If the area is longer than the trowell you will need to find a longer tool. Anything will do, a piece of timber just longer than the hole, a school ruler (ask first). Any remaining roughness is not too important since it will be hidden. When set (next day) use a regular plastic wall plug in a drilled hole. Doris knows best.

Doris said:
Buy yourself a wee bag of sand and cement and a cheap..

I was thinking of doing that but didnt know if it was a.) an acceptable way of doing things and b.) if it would bond to the exisiting brickwork firmly.

Cheers for the advice.

Sponsored Links
I would pva the hole first and add some pva to the mortar mix. It will never come out then.

I'd wait several days before drilling and fixing though, green mortar is very weak and next day is too soon to expect this to be strong enough.

I suppose you could use Rapid Cement or Jetcem Cement to speed thing up. If the hole is big then use sharp sand.

If the plaster is a bit powdery you can improve the bond by hacking out the plaster back to sounder material, such as the brickwork. Wet sand and cement bonds by water being sucked out into the background. The water draws cement particles with it. So long as the background is absorbant and not crumbly the cement will stick.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back