Fixing a dripping kitchen mixer tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

Quick question regarding fixing a dripping kitchen mixer tap. I have found a few DIY videos showing how to do this but I am having trouble taking the cover of the tap off initially. Most guides seem to suggest that there should be a screw underneath the tap but there isn't one. Others say to remove the cap with a flat knife or screwdriver but that doesn't seem to work. As you can see in the photos, the gap for doing that is very narrow so the screwdriver/knife can't properly get in.

Does anyone have any ideas? There may be a very simple solution to this!

Thanks very much!

Attachments

• IMG_20230219_113601.jpg
    IMG_20230219_113601.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_20230219_113450.jpg
    IMG_20230219_113450.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 43
Sponsored Links
Right at the end of the tap there appears to be a disc, that looks like it might unscrew, revealing the cartridge screw to disassemble.

Right at the end of the tap there appears to be a disc, that looks like it might unscrew, revealing the cartridge screw to disassemble.
yes there is but no way to unscrew it. It won't twist either. Attached a better pic here.

Attachments

• IMG_20230219_133501.jpg
    IMG_20230219_133501.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 41
  • Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
As @CBW says, try unscrewing the handle bar. There may be a locking screw inside which will allow you to remove the lower shroud by sliding it off. Once it's off you should be able to see the securing screw to remove the valve.
Don't forget to turn off the supply to the tap before starting though!

Hard to tell, but is this (arrowed below), a cover cap hiding a grub screw?

Attachments

• 851A1051-B1B6-4D29-8E40-39B60D6E5536.jpeg
    851A1051-B1B6-4D29-8E40-39B60D6E5536.jpeg
    143.4 KB · Views: 39
As @CBW says, try unscrewing the handle bar. There may be a locking screw inside which will allow you to remove the lower shroud by sliding it off. Once it's off you should be able to see the securing screw to remove the valve.
Don't forget to turn off the supply to the tap before starting though
i have found one screw at the back of the tap. See attached. Would this be the correct place to unscrew?

Attachments

• IMG_20230221_091900.jpg
    IMG_20230221_091900.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20230221_091808.jpg
    IMG_20230221_091808.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 28
No, that’ll be for the spout
Ok. that's the only screw I can see. The only option I can see would be to slide the cap off, near where the arrow is pointing, but as I said the gap for this is very narrow. And a knife/flat screwdriver doesn't seem to work. And ideas what tool might work for this?

Either the end cap will tap off, (where you have put the arrow), or the upright lever will unscrew to reveal a locking screw inside.
To try the end cap, get a small, but stiff, scraper or palette knife and hold it firmly against the little groove. Give it a sharp tap with a mallet or small hammer. I would suggest doing it at the back so, if it marks the tap, the mark will be out of sight.
To remove the upright handle you may need a pair of pipe pliers or a small stilson wrench and a bit of padding to prevent marking. A small piece of rubber or similar wrapped around the stem should do it. Grip the stem near the base if possible to stop bending.
If neither of these work, or you are too scared to try, then you have two alternatives.
Call a plumber or buy a new set of taps.

sometimes, especially in hard water areas the limescale will sieze the threads. Try a gentle limescale remover, an aggressive one might cause the chrome to come off. or even plusgas

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back