Fixing a shower tray

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I spent the entire day fitting one onto 22mm ply sitting on timber joists sitting on concrete. I just can't figure out how I could have done this any better..

Here's what I did :

1) Once the ply was screwed, I placed the tray onto some cement which I screedy roughly onto the ply and pushed it down to get roughly level.

2) I then had the trouble of screwing the cap that sits on top of the tray into the plastic screw contraption below. Now how the **** are you supposed to do this? As all I could do was hold the waste from below to try and hold it long enough to screw the plastic cap from above to the point I was almost crying.

3) I continued trying to do this until I gave up, and removed the tray, and the cement, and jigsawed out the length of the waste so that I could fit the waste together and then lay it flat onto the ply.

My hands were covered in sealant and cement, all I've eaten today is a family bag of hulo hoops BBQ flavor, I'm just so depressed about it. How could I have done this any better? How? How is it possible to do this without cutting out big sections of ply?

I'm going to find tomorrow that the waste leaks and I will have to cut the tray out of the cement possibly cracking it in the process and then throw myself off a bridge

Sponsored Links
Connect the trap and water test first. Flexible corrugated waste pipe is a godsend. I feel for you though! I fookin hate shower trays

Here's the bastard

It's level diagonally one way and out by 6mm the other. I didn't have the heart to go at it any longer, as the cement was drying along with my soul

Look at this ****ing huge gash I've taken out of the ply to allow for the plastic nut and pipe. So that now is completely unsupported and ****ed

The waste was jigging about like **** even after tightening it to ****ing agony.

Imagine the first half of the way I was trying to do this with the tray laying down and only that ****ing hole and my hand above - I couldn't get a catch on it no matter how hard I tried

Sponsored Links
Thanks mate now I know.

I just want to know if I should have put cement under the tray or whether or not it was alright sitting on the ply? It's a stone tray

I would have set the ply dead level. Used 2 45s out of the trap to lower the waste a bit, I wouldn't use a flexi in a future inaccessible position, just asking for blockages. Then I would have gripfilled the tray down.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back