Fixing a stop end on a heating oil pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently discontinued using an oil burning stove (for obvious reasons!) which had supplemented our oil fired central heating.

I put a 12mm brass compression stop end on the tee feeding the stove. However, at the nut end it is weeping oil although I did wrap some pft tape around the thread of the end part.

Should I undo the joint and put some boss on the olive, or wrap some tape behind the olive at the nut end, or wrap tape around the front part of the pipe, or what? Do I need to use any products specially designed for heating oil?

Sponsored Links
I have recently discontinued using an oil burning stove (for obvious reasons!)
Whats obvious about it? We can't see from here!

Looks like the olive may not have been pushed far enough on to the pipe.

Mostly a jointing medium is not required away from the tank and the compression fitting works on its own.

I did find some jointing stuff Here that you could try

Are you sure it's 12mm, normally 10mm on oil lines. PTFE between olive and stop end would do I reckon... make sure it is tight.

... make sure it is tight.

You should put an insert into the pipe before you use a compression joint on soft annealed copper pipe, which yours may be, otherwise you crush the pipe, then it, er, leaks. It's better to use copper olives too, the brass ones are harder.

Sponsored Links
Thank you everyone for that useful advice which I will put into practice.

Slugbaby - sorry for not making it more obvious about what I meant by "for obvious reasons"! In Sept 2007 I paid £523 for 1500 litres of burning oil. In April last year I paid £1,005 for the same amount. The price has come back down this year, but it ain't going to stay at that price for ever.

Leaky Dave - it is a 12mm pipe. I bought a 10mm stop end , making the same assumption as you, and found it didn't fit. The difference is very subtle and not easy to see with the naked eye, especially as the pipe is coated with a plastic cover.

Oilman - your advice sounds sensible - I didn't know about using inserts in copper piping, only for plastic push/pull.

Copper or brass inserts should be used in soft annealed copper pipe, but you could get away with copper olives and silicone sealer.

Sounds like your getting ripped off big time on your oil. My last fill last year was 2273/L and cost £900.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back