Fixing air bricks into Victorian masonry Q

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello I need to fix about half a dozen air bricks into my new (to me) 1895 semi, I'll be using either new or reclaimed clay type, or, if I'm feeling really fancy then perhaps some decorative cast type, all good so far.

My concern is should I use lime mortar to fix these to match the existing masonry mortar? I'm mostly against concrete such as rendering and any type of non-breathable fabric in a period building, vapour breathability within insulation notwithstanding.. So my thoughts are would you use standard cement mortar to fix air bricks in a lime mortared masonry wall? My thoughts are it's not really going to retain much moisture being as all adjacent joints will be original lime, and also being below DPC then the extra durability of cement might be beneficial?

Any imput would be appreciated, and I do appreciate I'm probably over thinking it...

Thanks!

:)

Picture for reference:

Attachments

• 20201021_130425623_iOS.jpg
    20201021_130425623_iOS.jpg
    732.5 KB · Views: 228
Sponsored Links
Ideally you want to match the existing mortar in type but more importantly colour. It wont matter if you use a different type of mortar for this limited use around an air brick. But in practical terms it may not be just the joint around the air brick, but you tend to have to blend the new mortar in to the adjacent mortar too, and that's where the match in colour comes in.

I can see why you would want to take care with the outcome, that's a nice looking house

Good point!! I'll have to get my colour match game on.

Thanks, and rest assured those hideous triangles of flashing will be the first to go.. Probably with a few more queries... I think the lintel is high and it needs a catnic installed in line with the bottom of the bay roof, with some clever stepped cavity tray detail

I used plastic air bricks and expanding foam. I feel so bad right now.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back