Fixing Bathroom Hot Water Tap - Leaking From Tap and Underneath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have a hot water tap downstairs that's leaking. The boiler tank is upstairs and there's no isolation valve on the pipe underneath. The tap leaks from the tap opening itself, as well as from underneath. Underneath, the water simply trickles along the feed pipe and drops from the bend. The tap itself turns freely by hand, so does the nut underneath - I've tried tightening, but this makes little difference.

To isolate the water supply, do I need to turn off water to the house and then run the hot tap until the boiler/hot water empties? Are there any precautions/checks I need to do when I turn the supply back on?

Also, could this be something as simply as a rubber valve in the tap going, replacing it and then adding some ptfe/sealing compound?

Or should I be looking at a new tap?

Advice appreciated - thanks in advance... (pics attached).

Attachments

• 20220730_231713.jpg
    20220730_231713.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 98
  • underneath.jpg
    underneath.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 77
Sponsored Links
First question- your own house or rented? If rented it's the landlords problem.
Your tap has 2 problems;
1 The washer has failed (this is why it drips into the basin)- replace washer, maybe recut tap seat. Tools needed- tap seat cutter, good screwdriver, adjustable spanners, maybe small Stilson wrench.
2 The nut securing the tap to the basin has come loose, twisting the tap has loosened the connection between tap and pipe and that's now leaking. First is tighten the nut holding the tap to the basin, after that the pipe joint may just need tightening properly (using spanners and wrench), may need removing and refitting with a bit of Boss White or similar on the face of the joint.
While you are doing (2) you might want to consider fitting an isolator (hot water is expensive).

There should be a gate valve located where the cylinder is, be careful with these though, as they can snap. Once turned off, run the hot water outlets and water should cease after about a minute or so, if it doesn’t stop it’s not off or passing.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies.
I own the property, it's a new build (1980s) and it's coming up to the point where wear and tear/poor build quality is taking its toll!

There are gate valves by the cylinder tank upstairs (see pic - the cylinder is behind the towels). Is one the feed into the tank and the other the feed out? I've never touched these in about 8 years, but am happy to try shutting them off.

Thanks

Attachments

• 20220731_101659.jpg
    20220731_101659.jpg
    244.8 KB · Views: 57

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back