Fixing battens to external wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all,

Moving onto the next part of the house project. Will be fitting some external wooden cladding (19mm Waney edged Oak) to 2 of the external walls about 40sqm in total. Due to some brick returns I was going to use 50x50mm treated battens.
Would hammer in fixings be the best fixings for timber to brick? Was thinking of 130mm so not to blow out the backside of the brick.
Going to use stainless steel ring shank nails to secure the cladding to battens. Any other tips or tricks for timber cladding?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Hammerfix will be fine.

If you are treating the cladding, treat the back too before fitting as this controls any bowing or splitting.

Thanks gents,

Tallest batten would be around 4meters. Thinking fixing every 300mm. Is that to much?

Sponsored Links
Morning all,

Had a bit of a change of plan and i'm thinking of adding 50 mm PIR .I'm going to build away from the cavity wall as such.

50mm PIR fixed to the wall
Breather Felt
25mm air gap
batten
Cladding

I've go to questions. Will treated fenceposts 75mm x 75mm be good enough as the main fixing points for the batten?
Will the wall be strong enough to take a lateral load that would be 100mm away.?

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back