fixing ceiling cladding to joists.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:) I am completely renovating the bathroom in my bungalow. The ceiling was very uneven, as some time previously it used to be separate toilet and bathroom. I have removed all the plasterboard ceiling.
Can i now fit the white plastic t+g type cladding directly onto the ceiling joists, or do regulations state that i must replace plasterboard or similar, and fit the cladding underneath this ?
* there is no room above -- ( bungalow ).
Any advice greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
No problem, but you must have insulation and vapour barrier above (if you haven't already) Whats behind there, is it felt/sarking board or just the roof tiles?

:LOL: Thanks for that Deluks. The original fibreglass insulation will be replaced as I fit the cladding ( it all came down when I removed the plasterboard ), also very shortly will be having more installed to bring up to current standards (250mm i think ). The roof itself is felted & tiled.
Can I make a nuisance of myself, whilst I have you ( checked your record, you seem to be very knowledgable & helpful ).
Unfortunately, the asphalt floor is 22mm out of level ( over 2.6m ). Am I correct in thinking that this is too much of a descrepancy to use a self levelling product i.e. should I mix sand/cement/10mm chippings to get near enough level, then use self levelling product ?

Sponsored Links
I fit these types of ceillings quite often in bathrooms. I would STRONGLY advise that you re board your ceilling before you fit UPVc cladding.

im sure there will be a fire hazard issue here but noseall or softus will be along shortly and clear that bit up.

I would also advise you to use the hdf ceiling boards made my parador. Far better and they dont collect the condensation like UPVc.

think i may have a piccie of a bathroom i did with these fitted. Will post if i find it.

Here you go

ceiling.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back