fixing fence to old wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I tried to fix my 6x6 fence panels to a 3ft high wall. Used 3 wall plugs and long screws at each side, but they have come loose from the wall at one side of one panel. :( To be honest, I'm not surprised. We found decent bricks to fix to, but it seems the plugs we used werent good enough.

Would I be better off with sleeve anchors? I'm just worried it will split the bricks in two! The wall is 100 yrs old and riddled with weeds / ivy / climbers on the other side.

I cant get posts into the ground here, as it is a concrete base adjoining the wall. The wall is next door's responsibility, but I wont hold my breath - its a rented house next door.

If money was no object I'd rebuild the wall. But I'm after a cheap solution!

The wall actually leans slightly, and this is amplified at the top of the panels when fixed - they have to twist slightly, putting pressure on the fixings. I'm not sure whether to wait until I get my decking and fasten posts to the joists for the fence. I wanted a quick cheap solution. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Use spax style frame fixings (they don't need a plug) Put a couple through some perforated metal banding. wrap the banding around the post, or screw in through the sides.

Or a couple of heavy right angle metal brackets either side of the posts, into the wall?

Resin is usually a better option than expansion fixings in old walls.

:idea: Just to clarify have you fixed the panels to the walls without using posts first?

Sponsored Links
:idea: Just to clarify have you fixed the panels to the walls without using posts first?

Yes :oops: This is how the rest of the fence was done (in a few areas they have used 3x2s fixed to the wall and sat panels on top of the wall)

But today I have attempted an improvement by fixing a plank over the joints between panels. This will tie the panels together, and give the panels a little more upper rigidity. One end of the fence adjoins a high wall, and I will get a metal bracket and fix that high up too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back